This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plowd and planted

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Plowd and planted

Postby cowboy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:38 am

My last trip to the farm I plowed and planted 7 acres at my Uncle Dennis's. The ground turned over pretty well considering it hasn't been plowed in 25 years. Except for what I call saw grass at the bottom of the field. It was pushing the plows out of the ground and when it did cut it it would flip back down. All the deer field plots I have done didn't really prepare me to do a large field. In a plot if you have a bunch of grass clumps you just hit it quickly with the tiller. There's nothing fast about tilling 7 acres though. I see I need to all the hoses and nozzles on my sprayer. And figure out how to use it. And kill off all the grass before I plow.

Plowed up 7 acres at Uncle Deno's to plant rye. I must be getting better at plowing. I usually have a mess at the dead furrows. But this time it all lined up nicely.

The 265 massey sure got a work out. Between plowing, disking, tilling, backblading and planting. I put 54 hrs on that tractor alone.

Pulling the crows foot cultipackers behind the disks really helped break up the dirt clods. It didn't do much for the grass though.

The field has never been limed and needed it bad as it is very acidic. But this spring I found a lime/fertilizer spreader at a auction. It was in rough shape and it took two and a half days for me Uncle Dennis and Uncle Jim. To get it going. It still needs a lot of work but it did the job. I put down 1200lbs of lime a acre. And did a few other fields spreading almost 17 tons of lime.

Coming back after spreading a load of lime to get another. The partially painted name on the spreader is Block's. And I am tickled pink to have this particular spreader. As kids every spring Mom, Grandma and sometimes Aunt Rusty. Would go to Block's nursery and Farm Market to get their plants. And we would go thought the summer to get our fresh produce. It brings back lots of good memory's.

Well after a lot of work the field is in. And it has rained a few times since I left. So hopefully it is up and growing. Its a little rough this year. But should be a lot better next year. I haven't decided if I am going plant barley next year. Or put in clover and a cover crop to turn down into green manure the following spring and plant oats.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Plowd and planted

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:32 am

A working over, with the disk harrow, before plowing, will weaken the clumps of grass, and make the turning over, go better. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Thanks Ed

I have another 15 acre field I plan on plowing up next year that hasn't been plowed in 40 years or so.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:53 pm

You been one busy little beaver Bill. It all looks great!
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:12 am

Thanks Bill

Step one in getting things set up to I can earn a living and move up there.

Billy

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:16 am

Billy:

I bet you are really looking forward to that :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:29 am

You know it Rudi :||):

Have a great day :!:

Billy

Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44333
Tractors Owned: Farmall cub 56-Spartacus
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub L-F1 Platform Carrier
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:36 am

Billy,
Great job! you are always busy, keep us posted on the progress. :D

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks Pabst

Its rained so if all is well it should be up and growing.

Billy

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”