This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New H owner w/questions

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
oronc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24153
Tractors Owned: 1950 Allis Chalmers B, 1942 Farmall H,Kubota B2150hst
48 Cubplow,cultiv,carry all,blade.other stuff
and other junk

New H owner w/questions

Postby oronc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:42 am

Recently bought from a previous owner which he said a 1947 model, Cleaned it up with serial #94418 X6 on the tag as well as the block, I come up with a 1942 What does the X6 mean?

ques.#2 http://photos.cubfest.com/albums/userpics/10194/H.png Image Am I missing some sort of linkage here,can't see where it would go the throttle rod goes to the bellcrank from bellcrank to gov. This one does have the H4 mag. If I'm missing something anybody got pics. of whats missing.

Ques#3 Starter switch pics none there, nothing but a fab. switch with little black button in the center

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New H owner w/questions

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:01 pm

My list also says 1942. X6 means low speed gears.

The linkage is for a radiator shutter. The complete linkage would have a rod that goes back to within reach of the operator with a very small crank at the rear. Another link would go past the radiator to connect to the shutters. I've seen quite a few tractors where the only part remaining is what you have in your picture. The full set-up is shown in the Parts Catalog.

The starter switch location changed during H production. I'm not sure which location applied in early '42. You should be able to find it in a Parts Catalog. Without a picture, don't know if you have a correct mounting bracket or switch.

This tractor would have originally had an H-4 magneto.

oronc
10+ Years
10+ Years
and other junk

Postby oronc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Thanks Jim, One less thing to worry about, Your knowledge is always appreciate.

Here is the pic on the solenoid Image

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Welcome to the H owners club. My 42 is 1193 units newer than yours, and the starter button was mounted on the rear fuel tank support. When I went to the parts store for a new one, they said it was the same as a Mack starter button. I believe this was the original location, and I just checked my owners manual from 42 and it says to "step on the starter button" and I think I can see it in the cut-a-way drawing. I checked a I have dated 2-1-52 and it shows it mounted on the steering post opposite the ammeter box and says to "press in on the starter button". I picked up a steering post mount and moved mine from the original location because it was a tight squeeze for my foot to get to. The IH engineer who put it on the tank support must have had a small foot. John

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:56 pm

The original starter switch was the large manual type. It was bolted to the tank support, sticking throuth the large hole where your solenoud is bolted. There should be 2 holes in the steering support where a pin was inserted to act as an extension for the switch. You pushed on the back end of the pin with your foot to hit the switch.

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:05 pm

I forgot about that rocker/paddle Jim. Mine was missing, so I made one, but moving the switch up I think was a better idea. That way you had a foot for the brakes and didn't have to worry about kicking the brake latch. I wonder if that had anything to do with IH moving the switch? John

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:11 pm

The rocker/paddle thing was an aftermarket goodie. The factory set-up was just the pin. It had a cotter pin to keep it from loosing out.

oronc
10+ Years
10+ Years
and other junk

Postby oronc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Jim Becker wrote:The original starter switch was the large manual type. It was bolted to the tank support, sticking throuth the large hole where your solenoud is bolted. There should be 2 holes in the steering support where a pin was inserted to act as an extension for the switch. You pushed on the back end of the pin with your foot to hit the switch.

Once again you are right,After removing the old switch I seen the two holes Got the correct push button swith and mounted it.Like John said ain't no way I could get my fat foot to push it. Did not look for the holes on the post though I'll do that tonight and try to make something. Thanks again.

RustyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 51646

Postby RustyFarmall » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Jim Becker wrote:The rocker/paddle thing was an aftermarket goodie. The factory set-up was just the pin. It had a cotter pin to keep it from loosing out.

I think the foot operated lever was standard on some years. The Hs I have seen with that system also had the hole in the gas tank support in a slightly different location, so the switch would line up with the lever.

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”