This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

H4 Magneto

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DelValCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07849

H4 Magneto

Postby DelValCub » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:01 pm

I will be putting the magneto back on my McCormick Deering W4 tomorrow, thank you Al (Super A) for your help. The one question I have is that after I set the engine to TDC on cylinder #1, where should I turn the magneto to, I have heard that I should line it up so that the rotor points to the coil wire on top, but I have also heard that I should point the rotor toward the number "1" that is marked on the plastic cap. Any help in this matter would be awesome. I seem to be able to time the mag on my Cub in a matter of minutes but for some reason this one is throwing me off.

Thanks,
A.J.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: H4 Magneto

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 pm

A.J., the timing procedures are exactly the same as those for the Cub.

Align the timing mark on the pulley, so that #1 is TDC on compression stroke. Rotate the mag so that the rotor is pointing to the #1 tower. Install the Mag and then rotate the housing towards the block. With the ignition off, rotate the engine one full revolution till the timing mark aligns once again (#4 now at TDC). Then with the ignition still off, rotate the mag away from the block till the impulse snaps. You will now be timed.

DelValCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07849

Postby DelValCub » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:49 pm

I think I can handle that. I must ask one stupid question though, which post exactly is the number 1 post. The number is in the middle of the two posts, I am assuming the number 1 post is the one to the left. Sorry for the dumb question.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:57 pm

DelValCub wrote:... which post exactly is the number 1 post. The number is in the middle of the two posts, I am assuming the number 1 post is the one to the left. ...

The number one tower is (should be) the one at the top of the cap closest to the coil.

redbird
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76262

Postby redbird » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:08 am

I have a H4 magneto and have had it apart. The rotor gear timing looks as if I have choices as to advance, retard or set at the center of the match marks. Is there a spec for setting this gear timing for a 1952 Farmall H?
redbird

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:28 am

GSS-5035 Service Manual Magnetos. Click the link, the manual details the H-4 Magneto beginning on Page 41.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”