This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rebuilt 154 motor. What's next?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jfalge
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rebuilt 154 motor. What's next?

Postby jfalge » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:59 am

:)
Hello wise cub owners. I have a 1972 154 low boy that I'm pulling the motor for a rebuild. (thats a whole other story why)

I wondering, while I've got it out what other parts I should think about replacing? I've been told things like the pilot bearing, clutch ect..

Times a wasting and snow will be here soon. Words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated. :lol:

Thanks
JF

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:18 am

0As long as you are doing a rebuild The seals on the motor will be changed.
The seals on the tranny ad finals as well as the hydro could be looked at and all the fluids replaced. The rad hoses could be done as well. As long as the motor is off agood radiator flush would not hurt. With a motor rebuild I would expect that you will have the dist checked for excessive wear as well as change the points and condenser. Was the charging system working? If not repair or replace the regulator and or generator. At least check the Generator for worn bearings and brushes. Bearings and brushes in the starter should be at least checked. If either armature needs to be turned down or rec cut now is the time to do it.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:19 pm

Just a thought... maybe you could swap your engine for one from a tractor someone unwisely added a loader to. The place where they break wouldn't matter much to a 154, since it has a frame, and there is very little strain on the weak spot. I know many have replaced otherwise good engines because of the crack that is ALWAYS weaker after a repair.

I have a 154 here that was the engine donor tractor for Rambo and I'm considering offering it along with a rebuildable repaired engine... it would make someone a good project at a good price.

Before the engine was removed:

The repaired block came from the world famous "Scruffy". :-)
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”