This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

When do you harvest sweet taters

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

When do you harvest sweet taters

Postby Former Member » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:06 am

Jan planted several hills for the first time. The vines spread like crazy and right now, I have no idea where the hills are. If the vines are any indication of the taters, they will be the size of watermellons :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh:

Having never grown them, I have no idea when to harvest them.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: When do you harvest sweet taters

Postby Mr E » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:22 am

Boss Hog is an expert. He'll chime in shorty. :lol:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:49 am

We usually dig ours in the late fall. I have dug them after the vines had been frosted. Have to be careful there because frost/freezing will ruin the taters.

Before you dig, take something and cut/mow the vines. Makes it a lot easier to work with them. The commercial growers have a rig much like a disk plow that rolls the taters out of the ground and cuts the vines all at the same time.

Oh, and to me the smaller ones taste better than the rgreat big ones.....but the big ones are fun to dig--better than an easter egg hunt!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:24 pm

we usually dig them in the fall also, but my neighbor dug up some yesterday, and we are having them for dinner tonight, they are big and look wonderful. so i would think you can dig some now and start eatting
Jack
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Bev and I dig a few to use late August on and then late Oct early Nov dig the rest.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby Bill » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:02 pm

If you have good potatoes the ground will be heaved up where the spuds are. We dig ours before frost our take the vines off the same day of the frost.
Bill

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Jack wrote:we usually dig them in the fall also, but my neighbor dug up some yesterday, and we are having them for dinner tonight, they are big and look wonderful. so i would think you can dig some now and start eatting
Jack

If they were dug yesterday I wouldn't eat them today, they'll have all the flavor of a piece of cardboard unless you really doctor them up. Put them in a dry, dark place for a while and let them cure first. Bigger doesn't = better as bigger ones take longer to cure and if they're REALLY big they'll never get as sweet as one about the diameter of a Pepsi can. A properly cured sweet potato doesn't need anything on it when you eat it.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:22 pm

A tug on the vine will show where the hill is or will on the ones I grow, they may not be as big as ones grown in warmer climes. I have never had any problem with the potatos if the vines get frosted but prefer to dig before. Mid september is about right here as the cool nights almost stop anymore growth. I also like to keep a piece of a vine from a few of the nicer hills to start new mother plants. I start everything from vine cuttings not from the tuber itself. I grow my own plants since that ornery plant grower in TN that supplies most seed compaines won't ship before 6-1 by which time it is too hot to get those sickly sticks under motion and still have time to grow in our 120 day season. If you get hungry before the potatos have been dug for a couple of weeks candy them. Enjoy. Vern

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:20 am

I wait until the vines either frost OR they look to not be growing anymore, then dig and dont eat until they have cured quite a time in storage!---for us they are kinda a mid winter eating thing! thanks; sonny

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Super A wrote:
Jack wrote:we usually dig them in the fall also, but my neighbor dug up some yesterday, and we are having them for dinner tonight, they are big and look wonderful. so i would think you can dig some now and start eatting
Jack

If they were dug yesterday I wouldn't eat them today, they'll have all the flavor of a piece of cardboard unless you really doctor them up. Put them in a dry, dark place for a while and let them cure first. Bigger doesn't = better as bigger ones take longer to cure and if they're REALLY big they'll never get as sweet as one about the diameter of a Pepsi can. A properly cured sweet potato doesn't need anything on it when you eat it.

Al

how long do let yours cure for before you start eatting them
thanks Jack

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:23 pm

We usually dig them after the first frost. We will cut the vines after the frost though. Grandpa always told me they would go bitter if we didn't snip the vines right away. We have let them sit in the ground for a few weeks after a frost before we got to them. Sometimes we will dig and eat them same day.

It is always fun to dig because some are sometimes as big as footballs and some are as small as golf balls. Anyway the hunt is always interesting.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Jack wrote:
Super A wrote:
Jack

Al

how long do let yours cure for before you start eatting them
thanks Jack

Off top of my head I would say at least 2 weeks.

al

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:58 am

The longer in the ground the bigger, as for the frost if you wait until the frost dig them all as any close to the surface will be affected in a bad way. They should be seasoned a while at 80-85° and 85% humidity, drop them to 50-60° and they should keep well. First dug are better for canning and pies, I prefer cooking after seasoning.
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:12 am

We planted 9 slips, which produced 5 plastic grocery sacks of taters. We had the first ones last night, and mmmm good. They had darker and sweeter meat than the store bought.

We bake them mostly. Jan grows pumpkins for our pies.

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:28 am

we had made sweet potatoe soup yesterday, I didnt think I was going to like it , but dang was it good
Jack

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”