This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

harvesting

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe
Circle of Safety: Y

harvesting

Postby Jack » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:50 am

I plan on picking my watermellons this weekend, and get the taters out of the ground. I grew taters called (german butterballs), they are small in size, but man do they taste good. they make a good tasteing potatoe salad. my sweet potatoes didnt do well, the rabbits had a field day on them this season.and the raccoons got my corn. better luck next year I hope. I will post some pics when I harvest them
Jack
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Re: harvesting

Postby Jack » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:57 pm

dug up my potatoes today, what a bad year for me.they were very small, and not alot of them, the taters were not worth taking a picture of. has anyone else had a poor year with the potatoes? I didnt get to the mellons yet.hope for better luck next year.
Jack

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:46 am

Jack wrote:dug up my potatoes today, what a bad year for me.they were very small, and not alot of them, the taters were not worth taking a picture of. has anyone else had a poor year with the potatoes? I didnt get to the mellons yet.hope for better luck next year.
Jack

Haven't dug potatos yet but have dug by hand into a couple of hills and they seem fine (pontiacs) but my sister-in-law dug hers and they were small (kenebecks). We have a sandy loam and she has clay/loam. Been a funny year. Cucumbers by the ton. Lots of beans, corn and beets. Nice cabbage,califlower and broccoli. the tomatos have so many they are bent over the top of the cages but don't ripen many and nights are starting to cool so they don't have much longer. Good squash and pumpkins. Melons were poor watermenons didn't set many and the musk vines I couldn't keep alive. Sweet potato?? Parsnips were the only thing that I would call a complete failure, we'll have enough for one meal. You sound like the typical gardener - "hope for better luck nex year." From me - better luck next year. Vern

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:01 am

My garden is finished, except for a few tomatoes. With some heavy watering it did pretty good this year, but the extended heat finally did it in. It has all been mowed and disked except for the tomato vines and a small lettuce bed that is just now getting big enough to harvest. I planted the lettuce about a week ago after the long heat period broke and it is doing great. that is surprising for this time of year. with the mild winter we had I was expecting a lot of insect problems, but with the hot dry summer we have had very little insect problems. about the only major problem we had was the Japanese beetles, and they concentrated on the okra and left the rest of the garden alone.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:09 pm

Taters did great,---(sweets still growing)----still have 1 row to dig but got rained out ---6 inches in the last couple of days, so not sure what the fate will be for that last row of spuds.!! thanks; sonny

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 am

my peppers are doing great, (both bell & bannana). with the hot bannanas we made about 20 pints of hot pepper musturd so far, and probibly going to can some more of them. my corn was doing great nice size ears, but by the time they were mature enough the racoons got to the patch.my tomatoes had alot on the vines, but it seemed like they would just split and rot right on the vine. my beans, the rabbits took care of them and the sweet potatoes. my beets were all tops and no beet. yesterday I plowed everything under, except for the peppers and the watermellons.next season I will install chicken wire around the garden, the critters seem to go through the regular fence. my garden is approximently 30x80. I also just ordered 4 more fruit trees, 2 apple ,1 peach, and 1 cherry. I already have 3 apple, 1 peach, 1 plum 1 necterine,

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”