This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

allis chalmers ca engine missing

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
IHfarmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12578
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub w/FH
1948 Cub w/ International 1000 loader
1946 BN
1953 Super C w/FH
1968 John Deere 55 combine
1983 International 1440
Circle of Safety: Y

allis chalmers ca engine missing

Postby IHfarmer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:40 am

I recently acquired a Allis Chalmers ca. I got it running it had 3 stuck valves I have replaced the points condenser wires coil and plugs. My question is while its running it will start to miss alittle and then clears up when you give it a little fuel some times it doesn't could this still be the valves sticking? Thanks Rich

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: allis chalmers ca engine missing

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:20 am

Could be sticking valve(s). Try SeaFoam in the engine oil and gas tank.

Intermittent miss is one of the problems hard to run down. Could also be ignition related.

If there is a plug accessing the carburetion side of the intake manifold. A vacuum test will disclose problem areas.
I have an excuse. CRS.

IHfarmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
1946 BN
1953 Super C w/FH
1983 International 1440

Postby IHfarmer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. There isn't a port on the manifold. So ill keep trouble shooting. On the ignition side would it be the more likely the points?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:56 pm

IHfarmer wrote:On the ignition side would it be the more likely the points?
Could be the points or some other ignition related fault.

I would conduct a complete engine tune up. Plugs, wires, tappet adjustment (done), compression tests, points, condenser, retime distributor to engine then retime engine. Check condition of distributor cap and rotor.

When you had the valve cover off did you check the valve action and condition of the valve springs? Just asking, would be normal to check valve action.

Try a timing light when engine is missing. Check one spark plug wire at a time.

Problem with intermittent miss is that there are about 10 different possible causes. Could be one, two or more problems.
I have an excuse. CRS.

IHfarmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
1946 BN
1953 Super C w/FH
1983 International 1440

Postby IHfarmer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:03 pm

I pulled the valve cover and one push rod has a slight bend in it probably because of previous valve sticking missed it when I was working on get it running. So I'll order a new one . I have replaced all the ignition parts when I was trying to get it running had weak intermittent spark,the new parts fixed that. I'll try sea foam and adjust the valves when I get the new push rod and hopefully that will cure the problem if not I'll continue to trouble shoot. Of course the starter broke today. when it rains it pours. Thank you for your help, I 'll keep you posted on how I make out and I might have a few more questions. Rich

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Not trying to be a smart a** here,---but AC had a problem with weak valve springs!----we have a WC with this problem and it runs kinda choppy because of the weak spring problem!---just fuel for thought! thanks; sonny

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”