This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need new Head bolts

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Need new Head bolts

Postby mjr46 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:18 am

So got the head off my 184 and to my suprise while a few of the head bolts creaked and were really rust and tight coming out, none broke, however I'd feel better with new ones going back together, they are really pitted, anyone know where to get head bolts at a decent price??? they look like a normal 8 grade bolt?? any one have dimensions on them?? IH dealler wants 63.00 for all the shorts and 20.00 for all the longs.......I know a bolt store probably has all for 20 beans....or maybe I'm wrong

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Need new Head bolts

Postby Former Member » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:27 am

TM has them and they are a site sponsor
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/en/en_001newparts.htm

I use grade 8 from Fastenall. Take 1 ea. with you. The ones they have will be longer. Take 2 nuts and double nut the bolt, with the outside bolt turned in to where the bolt is the desired length. Tighten the inside nut up to it to keep it in place.

With a 4" angle grinder, cut off the excess (or sawzall). Remove the outside nut.(this will debur the bolt) grind a slight champher on the end of bolt and then touch it to a wire wheel. Remove the 2nd nut-then put it back on to make sure the burrs are all gone.

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Dale Shaw wrote:TM has them and they are a site sponsor
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/en/en_001newparts.htm

I use grade 8 from Fastenall. Take 1 ea. with you. The ones they have will be longer. Take 2 nuts and double nut the bolt, with the outside bolt turned in to where the bolt is the desired length. Tighten the inside nut up to it to keep it in place.

With a 4" angle grinder, cut off the excess (or sawzall). Remove the outside nut.(this will debur the bolt) grind a slight champher on the end of bolt and then touch it to a wire wheel. Remove the 2nd nut-then put it back on to make sure the burrs are all gone.
yeah, my dealer has them too.......I just think 80 bucks for bolts that look like something you could find at home depot is outrageous, I think I'll try the fastenall route,, thanks :)

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Remember, all bolts are not the same. I have found that some of the big box stores and even TSC don't always have the "best" quality in any grade of their bolts.

I like "Fastenall" simply because I "think that their business is bolts, so they will have good quality"

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Dale Shaw wrote:Remember, all bolts are not the same. I have found that some of the big box stores and even TSC don't always have the "best" quality in any grade of their bolts.

I like "Fastenall" simply because I "think that their business is bolts, so they will have good quality"
we have a fasten all near us, don't worry, I wouldn't think of home depot bolts :)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:30 pm

As was mentioned, take the bolts with you -- one of each length to a "good quality fastener supply house" -- be it Fastenal or a small outfit. Fastenal does not stock the correct lengths and have to be cut. My local fastener supply house Maritime Fasteners has the correct lengths in stock in grade 8 and the bolts are quality. I have used this supply house for almost 25 years both through my business and in my hobbies. Dana and his employees are top notch and the service is simply impeccable. Oh yeah, they ship and the prices cannot be beat - even by my local Fastenal which is closer to me than Dana is :roll:

I really should get the stock #'S for those bolts. I need at least 2 sets for the 2 other engines I got sitting on the shelf.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Rudi wrote:As was mentioned, take the bolts with you -- one of each length to a "good quality fastener supply house" -- be it Fastenal or a small outfit. Fastenal does not stock the correct lengths and have to be cut. My local fastener supply house Maritime Fasteners has the correct lengths in stock in grade 8 and the bolts are quality. I have used this supply house for almost 25 years both through my business and in my hobbies. Dana and his employees are top notch and the service is simply impeccable. Oh yeah, they ship and the prices cannot be beat - even by my local Fastenal which is closer to me than Dana is :roll:

I really should get the stock #'S for those bolts. I need at least 2 sets for the 2 other engines I got sitting on the shelf.
they ship..ehh?? got a receipt left over so you get the part numbers?? I may be interested in dealing with them.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Remember, Rudi is in Canada. I don't know how the shipping is or if they have US distributors.

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:18 am

Dale Shaw wrote:Remember, Rudi is in Canada. I don't know how the shipping is or if they have US distributors.
yeah, I saw that..bummer :cry:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:44 am

Shipping to the US from Canada is not as arduous as shipping from the US to Canada and postage is very reasonable. Proper correct information is usually helpful, incorrect information not so much. I will try to go see Dana tomorrow to get the part#'s. I have a set of head bolts to take with me. It would be useful to have this information available, I am kind of embarrassed that I haven't done this before. The same stock is probably available in the US as well. A couple have already ordered from Dana and had them shipped stateside. I guess it really depends on where you are and if you have a "good fastener supply house" close to you. You could also call them and get a quote.

I am not advocating anything here, simply letting folks know where I got the precise replacement bolts for Ellie's head. I use TM Tractor Parts for much of what I need in new parts as Tom and Lynn are great to deal with and I get it faster from Florida believe it or not than I can from any CaseIH dealer - closest one to me is 40kms or so away.

I cannot see paying $3.50 per bolt plus shipping for 6 new long head bolts ($21.00), or $7.35 for 9 new short head bolts ($66.15) which is why I looked to source the proper bolts elsewhere. I can buy a lot of gaskets for the $75.00 or one would save.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

tomcat
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71836
Tractors Owned: 49 cub buttercup

Postby tomcat » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:36 am

i got a full set from the case dealer for my first cub had to order them and dumb me did not ask how much. when i went to get them 50 miles away 100 miles round trip and $115 out of my pocket and a lessen learn . next time i'll go to the bolt store. dumb but not ignorant tom

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:09 pm

I went up and visited with Dana and bought a full set of head bolts for the huge sum of $14.45 Cdn plus HST :) These replacement bolts are exactly the same length as the originals so no modifications are needed.

251 230 R1 - Cylinder Head Cap Screw Short (9) - Maritime Fasteners Stock #B-7162CZ8 - 7/16-14 x 2 Hex Bolt Grade 8 - $0.85 (total - $7.71)

251 231 R1 - Cylinder Head Cap Screw Long (6) - Maritime Fasteners Stock #B-716234CZ8 - 7/16-14 x 2-3/4 Hex Bolt Grade 8 - $1.12 (total - $6.74)

Dana estimates between $4.00 and $6.00 to ship and since taxes do not apply to those outside of New Brunswick a $20.00 bill should cover it all :D I will be picking up a couple more sets to keep in stock.

Should you wish to order them from Dana simply quote the MF stock # and quantity.
Last edited by Rudi on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated information

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:34 pm

Rudi wrote:I went up and visited with Dana and bought a full set of head bolts for the huge sum of $14.45 Cdn plus HST :) These replacement bolts are exactly the same length as the originals so no modifications are needed.

251 230 R1 - Cylinder Head Cap Screw Short (9) - Maritime Fasteners Stock #B-7162CZ8 - 7/16-14 x 2 Hex Bolt Grade 8 - $0.85 (total - $7.71)

251 231 R1 - Cylinder Head Cap Screw Long (6) - Maritime Fasteners Stock #B-716234CZ8 - 7/16-14 x 2-3/4 Hex Bolt Grade 8 - $1.12 (total - $6.74)

Dana estimates between $4.00 and $6.00 to ship and since taxes do not apply to those outside of New Brunswick a $20.00 bill should cover it all :D I will be picking up a couple more sets to keep in stock.

Should you wish to order them from Dana simply quote the MF stock # and quantity.

I appreciate your leg work, I will in the future, however since this time I have a time constraint and tractor must be running by sat, i WENT AND ORDERED them from the dealer, sucked but I was backed into a corner, Fastenal bolt by us wanted to sell bags of 25 and was gonna cost 45 bucks for the two bags in two sizes and I still had to cut them afterwards... :(

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:21 pm

Rudi wrote:I went up and visited with Dana and bought a full set of head bolts for the huge sum of $14.45 Cdn plus HST :) These replacement bolts are exactly the same length as the originals so no modifications are needed.

I hope they don't charge a restocking fee. :wink: My head bolts are 3/8"-16 x 2-3/8" (9) and 3/8"-16 x 3-1/4" (6)
Mcmaster Carr stocks the 3-1/4 but the 2-3/8 need to be trimmed.

They also have a grade 9 with a thicker head and higher tensile (180,000 psi vs 150,000) but all of them would need trimming. I think it is worth it as the spec for torque really pushes the limits on a grade 8 bolt.

FYI: the reason these are trimmed is because they stick into the water jacket if too long. Once they rust they are a bear to remove. Make sure you use a sealant so coolant does not weep up the bolt. Studs are another option.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:43 pm

Bob:

Yup, indeedy. They are 3/8"-15. Will recheck with Dana and hopefully it is just a typo on the invoice. If they are 7/16" there will be no problem restocking and I will then repost the corrected info.,

GSS-1007 - Engine

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”