Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Jim Becker wrote:It is not a Super Chief bottom it is a BBA bottom. That bottom was built from '37 to '61. It is a "general-purpose moldboard adapted to stubble and tame hay sod plowing." The landside of that bottom does not have a replaceable heel, even though other bottoms do. Replacement parts for that bottom will probably be a challenge.

Ok got it, I am farming small acreage and will be needing a plow for years to come, one I can get parts for. I would like to do everything with my farmall. Is there a bottom I can get to plow with my 100 that I can still get parts for?

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:16 pm

Depending on how small your acreage is, you may have a lot of use left in that bottom. Meanwhile, you might see if you can find a super chief bottom. It will bolt right on and parts are available. Some of the several bottom plows sell for about scrap price as auctions. You might check with North Otto Tractor Parts to see if he can find or provide a lead on a super chief bottom. Poking around the back yard of places like Lamb and Webster or Laporte could pay off too.

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:23 am

whoa Are you local to me? Or good on the internet? Thanks for the leads. I'll see what I can chase down. I'll be plowing about 10 acres a year with it to start, then I may double it if things are going well. Thanks for all the help.

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:58 am

10 acres a year is quite a lot, especially when you do it 16 inches at a time. I should also point out that although parts for that bottom are hard to find, it isn't impossible. So keeping watch for them is worthwhile. A dealer or former dealer may have them. One of the Amish in the area could have a stash of new parts too.

The shin is part PO 1838. The regular share is OA 692 (solid). Deep suck versions are O 692 DS (chilled). OA 692 DS (solid). Stony shares are O 754 DS (chilled) and OA 754 DS (solid). Essentially any share you find with O 692 or O 754 will work, no matter what letter follows the "O" or what letters follow the number.

The Parts Depot currently has one each of PO 1838 and O 754 DS. If you have a near-by dealer that works with them, that is an option. I don't know what your dealer may charge for them, but you might guess around $35 for the shin and about twice that for the share. Site sponsor Carter & Gruenwald (link at the bottom of this page) does work with the Depot.

I was originally from Chautauqua County, but haven't been there much in the last 40 years or so.

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:14 pm

That's neat! I wondered how you knew about those dealers. Can I just call up parts depot? Or do I have to go through a dealer? I could call up Carter and Gruenwald and just have them order it by the numbers you gave me?
This morning I called north otto, no dice there, but he said there was an amish man in Elm Creek that worked on plows, I might pay him a visit too.
What made you leave the area? My little farm is in Dewittville, is that close to where you grew up?

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:27 pm

So the saga continues, I called carter and g, and they didn't find the part numbers on parts depot. They gave me another place to call for a used one..JP something I think was the name. They don't have anything either. So I'm ba ck to the beginning.

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:41 pm

If you are plowing that many acres why not opt for a double bottom plow or disc plow. I have a friend that is going to scrap out a trailing plow that might fit your tractor. Waiting for a call to go see it.

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:46 pm

That is odd about C&G not finding the parts at the depot. Maybe the online customer listing (which I just checked again) isn't up to date. Did you talk to Ken Updike?

I am from Town of Hanover/Forestville.

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:32 pm

Jim, I did talk to ken, and dan, they sent me to the other place and I talked to jamey there. (i have the name of the place written down in my truck) but no one seemed to have anything new or used. I am considering a trailer plow. Something that is like a jd 44 or little genious. I don't know if I can pull 2 14's I think I can because my soil is pretty easy going. I would like an IH single bottom trailer or double, but they don't seem to be around here. Lots of the jd 44 though. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I will be plowing 10 acres at least per year. What should I get guys? (don't say another tractor I love this one)
Jim, that's pretty close! If you are ever in the area you'll have to drop in.

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:33 pm

Dano, what model?

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:38 pm


This is on craigs list local...would it fit? I can't tell from the picture, it kinda looks like an ih plow...drawbar hook up maybe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:56 pm

Definitely IH, can't say for sure what model, probably a mounted plow for a C. If all that is with it is what is in the picture, it is far from a complete plow for a C. The bottoms would give you 2 spares that will bolt onto your current plow. Landsides may be too short for ideal operation.

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:02 pm

It's going for $100 bucks, but if the bottoms are the same vintage then I'm not really out of trouble yet. I'm starting to think maybe a trailer plow is my only option in order to have parts readily available. How much do those IH trailer jobs go for? Say a single 16 or 18 or even a double 14? The JD 44 manual trip double 14's around here are $200-$400. I guess you can get parts for them too. But I'd like IH to match if I could.

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:07 am

Whether you have a mounted plow or a trailer plow, the parts question still comes back to what bottoms are on the individual plow. I think most of the trailer plows you find are going to be as old as what you already have. Your BBA bottoms were made until 1961. Different versions of Plow Chief were made from 1950 to 1970. Plow Chief was the replaceable point type. Super Chief bottoms were made starting in 1956. You can at least get new (Chinese) points for a Plow Chief and most parts for a Super Chief. I have no idea about parts availability for a Deere plow.

I can't get much of a look at the shares in the picture of the mystery plow, but at least the second bottom looks pretty good. My suggestion was that plow might be all the spare parts you will need.

Re: Farmall 100 plow question

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:00 pm

I have finished my plowing for the season and I took my plow off today. I wire brushed it all over and greased it and set it up off the ground in the barn. Now I also took down all the numbers, here they are for the record:
Plow is an A-193
mold board O-3068 HO
Shin PO1838
Share OA692DS (SOLID)
Landside 2098A
Frog PO16966
Beam 512504R1

I would also like to note that there was a "52" stamped in the share separately. It looks to be factory. Also the frog number was tough to make out.