This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

130 steering worm (pics added)

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

130 steering worm (pics added)

Postby EZ » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:37 pm

Guys, The 130 manual, and the archives tell me that the steering worm and shaft should come out of the housing by turning it (clockwise) and forward, actually coming out the front of the steering box. That is, after the bearing retainer and castle nut have been removed.
Trouble is, the bearing may be seized in there as it will not budge. About a pint or more of water came out, followed by gear oil when the retainer was removed. Not sure how I"m going to get it out. I want to correct the steering slop, replace seals and bearing if required.
Last edited by EZ on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Do It !

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: 130 steering worm

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:54 am

If the bolster is still on the tractor and you are working alone, place plenty of cushioning under the area (in case the gear falls out) and turn the steering shaft (the shaft that the steering wheel is on). That should help move the gear.
Luck favors those who are prepared

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:08 am

Bus Driver,
I can see the bearing.
I'm guessing that the castle nut could have stayed on if the bearing is to come out with the shaft.
Also guessing that the bearing is pressed on the shaft. I can't see any rust.
If I turn the steering wheel shaft all the way right, I reach the end of the travel for the pitman arm. After that, it feels like I might break something if I force it any further.
Funny thing is, everything in there seems tight and moves perfectly together without the axle and wheels attached.
I'll have to leave it a couple days, going on a road trip.

Makes sense that the ball bearing (ST287) should be snug in there, are they always a bull to get out?
The way the manual explains it, it should just come right out.

Thanks for the reply.
Just Do It !

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:16 am

Not suggesting that the shaft be forced beyond the natural limits, but that rotating it back and forth slightly may help work the gear out.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Hmmmm...that bearing on the steering wheel shaft is froze in there. After cleaning the area I can see some rust on the lower portion of the bearing.
Wondering now if I should just remove the big nut on the pitman arm, drop the lower half of the steering unit. This should bring the worm gear out.
Then I'm sure a few taps on the steering shaft should bring it, and the bearing out through the front of the unit.

Again, the manual says it should just come right out.

Note: I tapped on the steering shaft up at the steering wheel end and now the bearing is still stuck but the shaft moves in and out of it about 1/8".
Just Do It !

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:09 am

The steering gear ARM is froze on the shaft as well.
Found a 1" 5/8 socket (that's a big one) and removed the large castle nut holding the arm on. It was a bull. Had to put a pipe on the wrench.

But, the ARM will not budge. I suppose some PB Blaster is in order, and maybe some heat.
Just Do It !

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:27 am

As I recall, that shaft is tapered. When it lets loose, it will come all at once!

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks Jim,
I got it cooking in PB Blaster now.
Just Do It !

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:44 am

For steering arms on tapers, a puller tightened up well and then tapping on the outside of the collar portion of the arm usually pops them right off. I would not use heat.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:13 am

BD,
I left a puller on it overnight.
At some point this thing will eventually pop off.
I can feel that there is something wrong inside.
Tapped on the arm sideways with a rubber mallet, it moves about 1", but the steering rod is not moving, so something is broke inside.
That would account for the 3/4 turn on the steering wheel before the wheels even started to move.
So...............Gotta get this thing apart and investigate.
Paint will have to wait.
Just Do It !

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:20 am

EZ wrote:BD,
I left a puller on it overnight.
At some point this thing will eventually pop off.
I can feel that there is something wrong inside.
Tapped on the arm sideways with a rubber mallet, it moves about 1", but the steering rod is not moving, so something is broke inside.
That would account for the 3/4 turn on the steering wheel before the wheels even started to move.
So...............Gotta get this thing apart and investigate.
Paint will have to wait.

I doubt anything is broken in there, I expect it is just wear.

The center steering arm may require a fair amount of "persuasion." Don't go crazy with it or anything but I would not be afraid to get a little "rough" with it. If it was me, I would cinch the puller down nice and tight, put on eye protection/gloves, get a good big hammer and a big punch and wail on the sides of that center arm where the shaft goes through a time or twelve. I bet after a couple good sharp licks it will fall right off. Once you get it off, drop the base of the steering gear housing, and you can see what's going on in there. I am thinking since you can't get the worm shaft out easily it probably has never been apart.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 am

SA,
Thanks for the reply.
I left the puller on overnight, soaked it good with PB Blaster.
I gave the puller another turn this morning so it was cinched up nice and tight.
Then I used my air hammer with a flat snub nose on it to 'agitate' it. Hammered on it for quite awhile on the sides, up onto the bottom, and all around.
It won't budge as of yet.
I can see that the woodruff key is on the forward part of the arm. Might try hammering on it a couple times with a 'point', but I don't want to mushroom it.
Also tried some heat, hoping it would 'pop' but nope. Think I'll look for a bigger puller. Not much room in there though.

Might have to resort to an adult beverage, a few cuss words, roll up the sleeves, and go in swinging!
Just Do It !

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:42 am

I would have to say that the seals and gaskets are/have been pretty good to keep all that water in there all these years.
There was a good amount of gear oil as well.
Just Do It !

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”