This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 creeper seal and clutch parts

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

184 creeper seal and clutch parts

Postby mjr46 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Anyone know what the 1. part number is for the front seal that goes in the creeper drive?? also 2. part number for the pilot bearing for the clutch?? and 3. part number for the throw out bearing, as well as 4. part number for the rear main seal I'd like to go to the local parts store and get such if possible, I know others online offer the stuff but I'd like to go local, like napa if possible.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: 184 creeper seal and clutch parts

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:18 am

Sounds like you need a manual in a bad way. Binder Books has great reproduction reprints of the service manual and the parts manual for your tractor. I highly recommend this.
You will not likely save much money using NAPA vs. your local IH Dealer on these parts. NAPA can cross reference some of the parts, but most of what they have is for a 154. My NAPA does not show an IH 184 in their books.

For the main seal, you should send yours out to Phil Lenke to have it machined and fitted with a rear seal. He does a great job with these and mine hasn't leaked since. I just purchased an R2 Retainer online and shipped it to Phil for machining. He shipped it back to me all completed with the rear seal installed.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:21 am

You can also find part numbers from the Case IH website. Put your tractor model number in the search box.
https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:37 am

outdoors4evr wrote:Sounds like you need a manual in a bad way. Binder Books has great reproduction reprints of the service manual and the parts manual for your tractor. I highly recommend this.
You will not likely save much money using NAPA vs. your local IH Dealer on these parts. NAPA can cross reference some of the parts, but most of what they have is for a 154. My NAPA does not show an IH 184 in their books.

For the main seal, you should send yours out to Phil Lenke to have it machined and fitted with a rear seal. He does a great job with these and mine hasn't leaked since. I just purchased an R2 Retainer online and shipped it to Phil for machining. He shipped it back to me all completed with the rear seal installed.

yeah I read about all the rear seal issues last night on hear, glad I did before I pulled it out cause given the issues If it's not a horrible leak I may leave it be as I'm in a crunch to get the tractor up and running aGAIN.....BUT do you have a link for the r-2 retainer?? I really appreciate the help and time you have spent thus far, I sent Phil a pm, hopefully he'll get back with me.....is there a better way to contact him??? I've read your probs yu've had and looks like I'm following in yur foot steps..lol......engine overhaul looks like a reality here soon as well for me. :?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:42 am

Actually Phil no longer does them. However all is not lost as another one of our members has taken over. Tim Talleur aka tst now does it.

As far as manuals for the 184, I don't have a lot, but the 184 is in many ways similar to the 154 and I do have some manuals for the 154. Here is what I have:

There are a lot of resources available to our members, suggest you follow the links below.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:10 pm

What indicates that an engine overhaul is required?

If I can help with one thing, it is this... Don't undertake two separate major repairs at once. It makes the troubleshooting too difficult.
If the clutch is what is needed now, then pursue that. Once you are satisfied with its function and reliability, then attack the next major issue.

I mixed two projects together and spent two years ironing out what turned into an engine - transmission alignment issue that ate clutches every 6 months. I am still in the trial phase of my last clutch repair. I wouldn't loosen that engine or transmission mount at all until the clutch is back in and working well for a few months.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Rudi wrote:Actually Phil no longer does them. However all is not lost as another one of our members has taken over. Tim Talleur aka tst now does it.

As far as manuals for the 184, I don't have a lot, but the 184 is in many ways similar to the 154 and I do have some manuals for the 154. Here is what I have:

There are a lot of resources available to our members, suggest you follow the links below.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
I pm'd him and he said he had one ready to go :)

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:10 pm

outdoors4evr wrote:What indicates that an engine overhaul is required?

If I can help with one thing, it is this... Don't undertake two separate major repairs at once. It makes the troubleshooting too difficult.
If the clutch is what is needed now, then pursue that. Once you are satisfied with its function and reliability, then attack the next major issue.

I mixed two projects together and spent two years ironing out what turned into an engine - transmission alignment issue that ate clutches every 6 months. I am still in the trial phase of my last clutch repair. I wouldn't loosen that engine or transmission mount at all until the clutch is back in and working well for a few months.
don't worry, I'm not pulling the engine, If I can sneak the mains in I will, and it's gonna get rod bearings for sure, I haven't decided whether or not to pull the head and give it rings and hone the cylinders, basically a quicky overhaul, we did this years ago to a 185 my dad owned, it worked well..anyway, thanks for the advice to not loosen the engine, trust me I won't :)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Then you got lucky. Phil advised us a month or so ago that he no longer was doing them. Must have been something he had left.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

mjr46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mjr46 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:47 pm

So I replaced the creeper seal tonight and "snuck" all the mains out.......so looks like it be getting an "overhaul" I stress the word overhaul and not rebuild, it was a running tractor and all I'm doing is freshening it up, I will measure all specs upon reassembly just so I have an idea of how much wear there is to gauge how long the tractor will continue on.....it is not a tractor I will use a lot, mainly cutting my yard and pulling a wagon and if I can find the IH tiller from someone, I hope to get that to till my garden, so if anyone wants to know if the mains can be removed without pulling the crank, answer is "yes"!! I ground down a flat head screwdriver to help tap it around so as to not scratch the crank, they came out easy, I will remove the head this weekend and pull the pistons so I can hone the cylinders and install new rings after I clean up the pistons, while many of you may not agree with an "overhaul" vs rebuild , I need the tractor back up and running in less than 2 weeks, and growing up my Dad did this to a 185 lo boy we had and got 15 more years out of it before selling it.......anyway, Hopefully, I can get some pics of all this.......till then :)

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”