This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

starter generator cranking a john deere LUC

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Roninpa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15330

starter generator cranking a john deere LUC

Postby Roninpa » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:49 pm

I have a home made tractor powered by a john deere LUC engine that doesn't have a ring gear on the flywheel for a starter and was wondering if a starter generator would crank it. thanks, ron

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: starter generator cranking a john deere LUC

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:16 pm

Bit of web research says the LUC engine puts out between 12 and 15 hp.

A starter/generator cranks over the numbered Cub low-boy's and single cylinder Kohler's in the same horsepower range. So the answer is yes.

Only thing you will need to be concerned with is the rotation direction of the starter/generator. Some are clockwise and others counter clockwise.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Roninpa
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Roninpa » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:17 pm

thanks for the reply, i didn't want to buy one and then find out that i couldn't use it. ron

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:56 pm

Might try one from a 2 cycle golf cart. they ran either way, just reversed voltage. May be cheaper than one for a lawn mower.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Roninpa
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Roninpa » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:08 am

Yes i know about the ones from a golf cart but the ones that i see advertised are more expensive than the lawn mower delcos, by the way i had bought one of ebay that came off a sears suburban for $19.99 + $11.00 shipping because i was the only bidder. The housing looked good and it spun freely. The connection on the armature post was loose and the nut was rusted on so i i took the cap off the end so i could hold the post inside to keep from twisting the wire off. When i pulled the cap off ashes fell out and the armature was blue-black from being hot.i checked it with a vom and was shorted out between the commutator and armature body. Instead of a bargain it was an expensive piece of junk. The seller had listed it as running when removed from the tractor. He only listed as giving a refund on the purchase price so i am out the shipping costs both ways. I have bought a lot of things off ebay and the items have always been as good or better than listed. He was listed as having %100 positive feedback. I was unable to try it to see if it work or not so i posted this question before buying another. thanks again, ron

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:13 am

A lot depends on the seller. Since it was not as advertised, he may refund the original shipping, and I have known a few that also refunded your shipping under those circumstances.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:53 pm

Ron:

I have to echo John's comment. I have had a few sellers on :eBay: do exactly that if something wasn't up to snuff or DOA. It would be worth it to at least mention it to the guy .. send along a couple pics. He may even replace it, who knows. Worth the shot.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Roninpa
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Roninpa » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:31 pm

seller grudgingly refunded the purchase price but not the shipping. He said that i dismantled it and damaged it. I filed a complaint with ebay and was refunded the initial shipping but not the cost of returning it. Had it been a matter of brushes and or bearings i wold have gladly replaced them but that thing was toast. ron

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”