This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Anxious for paint.....but..

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Anxious for paint.....but..

Postby EZ » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:14 pm

Never thought I would ever get in 'this deep' on a tractor project again.
I just want to get this thing painted, put back together and running.
But, I figured if I am going to go through the trouble of painting it up nice, better do a good job and fix what I can along the way.

The steering is very sloppy, so I took the front axle off to get a better look at the steering box, etc...

NOTE 1: With the axle off, the steering seems quite OK. I can move the steering arm back and forth maybe 1/16".
The steering wheel and shaft move smoothly as I move the arm back and forth with little to no play.
NOTE 2: The big nut holding the arm on is tight, maybe the key is worn.

I'm thinking the steering play is due to the worn pilot shaft bushings on the axle, and the worn tie rod ends.

Just Do It !

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Re: Anxious for paint.....but..

Postby EZ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:29 am

Picked up the paint from NAPA yesterday.
Single stage urathane. 2150 Harvester Red. Reducers and Activators, Primers, and a few other goodies.

This is gonna be good.

Not cheap by any means, but this 130 is truly a 'no welds, no cracks machine'. A few things have worn out on it since '57, the grill is gonna take some straightening, but all in all a beauty of a machine.
Just Do It !

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ricky racer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:25 am

Can't wait to see her when she's done!!
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Lookin great Ed. I've never had the patience to go through one and do that nice of a job :{_}:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:58 pm

EZ wrote:NOTE 2: The big nut holding the arm on is tight, maybe the key is worn.

I'm thinking the steering play is due to the worn pilot shaft bushings on the axle, and the worn tie rod ends.

Most likely worn keyway(s). Worn bushings and tie rod ends don't help, but usually most of the wear is in that gearbox. Even with that big nut holding the arm on being tight, I bet if you put it all back together you would find that when you turn the steering wheel, the shaft moves before the center arm does.

I would go ahead and either find a good machine shop who will re-do the keyways on the sector gear, shaft, and center arm, or buy a new sector gear and shaft.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”