This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall F-20?

Farmall F-xx Series Tractors, 1931-1939
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FarmerFred888
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall F-20?

Postby FarmerFred888 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:09 pm

We have a farmall F series tractor and have been dismantling it, it appears to be a F-20

We have removed the clutch and it needs to be replaced

The problem is that the diagram for the F-20 shows a single plate clutch and this clutch has 8 plates in it, do we have an F-20?

We found the serial tag and it shows the idle speed to be set to 1300 rpm and the book tells us that an F-20 should idle at 1200, so i don't know if it is an F-20

Does any one know where we could find a tag that says if it is an F-20 (it is not on the serial tag) or any parts that would distinguish it as one or not, The serial number is T-13711?

And does anyone know where we can find a new clutch and other parts for the tractor?

If you can answer any of these questions a posting would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
"Consistency is not necessarily a good thing,
Especially if you are consistantly wrong"

A wise man once said "What he said"

"Don't Force it, use a bigger hammer"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:22 pm

some pictures might help us
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:45 pm

There are a lot of F series Farmalls still out there. So many I can't even give one away. Parts should not be a problem.

A handy reference is Valu-bilt. Try their web site and order a free parts catalog. http://www.valu-bilt.com The catalog will let you know what parts are readily available and provide prices for comparison.

Go to ytmag.com. They have photos of various models of IH/Farmall tractors. Perhaps you can identify you tractor.

FarmerFred888
10+ Years
10+ Years

Solved

Postby FarmerFred888 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:25 am

When we pulled the clutch apart and found that there were so many plates this identified it as a regular farmall and not as an F-20, but this did not help me with why it was painted red.

I asked about the clutch plates to a local friend of ours who has through his life had hundreds of farmalls. He identified the tractor as a regular and not as an F-20, our suspicions were verified. But still, the red paint? This was a rather rare and specieal form of a regular, a blue ribbon special, which were originally painted red and had a blue ribbon. I had never heard of such of a thing, and he said that it was quite of a suprise to find one. Our mystery tractor is now identified as a blue ribbon special, but any information regarding these tractors, including where we can find the decals for it, and the location of an original manual would be greatly appreciated, if you have any information please send me a personal message.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:06 pm

As I assume you have already found out, the easies way to identify the difference between an F20 and a Regular is by the exposed steering gears on the Regular verus the enclosed ones on an F20. Can't help you with the paint, or Blue Ribbon part
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:59 pm

Curious.

Just out of curiosity, what is your reference for a Regular being called a Blue Ribbon Special?

I did find references to parts of the Regular being factory painted red. And I did find a reference stating that some Regulars were (perhaps) factory painted red in 1935. I did find references to the Blue Ribbon Service manual and Pabst - being consumed while working on a Regular.

Also, I'm not sure the number of segments in the clutch disk is a good indication of model and or year.

Eugene

FarmerFred888
10+ Years
10+ Years

Blue Ribbon Special

Postby FarmerFred888 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:04 pm

I have a friend, a Mr. Kidd, who is about ninety and has over the years accumulated farmalls of all kinds

He currently owns somewhere around 100 farmalls he strictly only collects farmalls, he has identified this tractor as a blue ribbon special based on the serial number and on the original red paint, which is still intact in certain portions of the tractor.

He says that this is rare, not any different from a normal regular but that it was painted red and had a blue ribbon on it when it left the factory.

He could say that the blue ribbon special is a somewhat similar idea as the ford golden jubilee. The jubilee was identical to a ford NAA except that it was created in 1953 and has special detailing in the front. The Blue ribbon special was the same as any other regular except that it was red and had a blue ribbon on it, something that makes it special.

I will have pictures of the tractor together and apart available as soon as i can figure out how to get them into the forum in a post. (I have been taking photos as i go as part of an antique tractor restoration project/contest through my FFA Chapter :) This will be my fifth restoration of my own and 10th overall)

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:37 am

IH came out with a "Blue Ribbon" service special in the mid to late 1930's. This was supposed to show that their service department in IH dealerships were "second to none" :D . They had the Blue Ribbon featured on lapel pins, service manuals and brochures, but I have never heard of a RED Blue Ribbon Farmall Regular tractor :?
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Farmall F-xx Series”