This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cadet 100 - Deck Lift & PTO Problems

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Cadet 100 - Deck Lift & PTO Problems

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:15 pm

Now that I have solved my electrical problem, I've driven the little lawn mower around the yard and it runs great!!

I have noticed that the deck height adjuster is tied off to the seat post with a rope to hold the deck up. The push button on the lift rod is there, but when pushed it sticks inside the rod/handle. I have sprayed liquid wrench in there liberally and have pressed the button and tapped on the side to pop it back out. I've done this over and over, but the button still sticks. Also, the mechanism at the bottom of the handle doesn't seem to catch inside an adjustment notch. THe deck is only floating freely, with only the rope to hold it. I would like to get this working perfectly again, and don't know how to tackle. I'm sure this is a common problem, and I'm sure there is a "trick" to fixing it.

Also, I tried to engage the mower deck (PTO), and it did nothing as far as turning the deck. I got off the tractor and noticed that the pulley(?) on the flywheel that the deck belt attaches to engages and spins, BUT the belt that is attached to it doesn't move. WHat could be the problem here? I noticed that when tried to turn the pulleys on the mower deck by hand that it seems that it is all pretty stiff and tight although the deck pulleys will rock back and forth with my hand movement.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Cub Cadet 100 - Deck Lift & PTO Problems

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Here are some pictures to enjoy....
Attachments
IMAG0693.jpg
IMAG0692.jpg
IMAG0691.jpg
IMAG0690.jpg
IMAG0678.jpg
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:28 am

Well, you've got a couple of issues there. The deck lift is a simple solution, and you can see it in your bottom picture. The lift button is stuck in the shaft. You can disassemble the rod and clean it out. OR, you can just loosen the bolt on the lift stop (shown in the bottom photo) and slide it back to the height where you want to cut grass, and tighten the bolt and leave it.

As for the PTO not engaging, it just sounds like the PTO lever is not adjusted appropriately, or the PTO clutch is shot. You'll have to do some more playing around to figure it out. From your photo, the turnbuckle (again, bottom photo) looks to me like it is fully adjusted out, which would make me think the PTO would be engaged all the time (deck turning all the time). My guess is the PTO clutch is worn out and in need of a rebuild.

Good luck,
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:41 pm

Bill,

I looked all over on how to remove the latch assembly and couldn't figure it out, haha. Usually I am pretty good at this stuff, but it's got me stumped!

As far as the clutch goes....Is there a specific procedure to adjust these things. I'm new to them, but my grandfather isn't which is here; but it is so hot out that he doesn't want to fool with it. I'd like to go ahead and try to fix it and learn myself. It sure would be nice to take my push mower out of service at my house and replace with my Cub Cadet! Also, how would I know if the clutch is simply just worn out? Is there a specific thread/guide on rebuilding the clutch assembly? Again, I'm new to this and haven't taken the time to look in the CBOK on this. In the meantime I can go shoot a video if it will help.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:48 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:I looked all over on how to remove the latch assembly and couldn't figure it out.
Not a big problem. Happens frequently. Set the latch assembly so it doesn't hold the deck. Solvent the button and then the bottom end of the lever. You will probably have to tap lightly from the bottom to get the rod and button to free up. Usually 2 or 3 times and the button is free. If the lever/tube is bent - much bigger problem - either replace or figure out how to straighten the tube and remove the crease.

As far as the clutch goes....Is there a specific procedure to adjust these things.
The only adjustment is at the turn buckle.

how would I know if the clutch is simply just worn out?
There is a graphite type button on the lever that disengages the pto. The lever and graphite button are directly in front of the pto. The graphite button is frequently worn out. YOU NEED THE GRAPHITE BUTTON. If the turn buckle is adjusted and you pull/lock the pto lever to the rear in the operators station and the pto does not unlock/free up then you will need to remove and repair.

The pto clutch is robust. My most frequent problem is the worn out graphite type button. I have had one with broken internal springs

Is there a specific thread/guide on rebuilding the clutch assembly?
YUP. PM Rudi and have him send you the service manual and parts manual for your CC. When/if you need a repair kit the instructions are included. Be sure to disassemble the clutch before ordering parts. Locally you can get the clutch parts from Cub Cadet and Case/IH dealer or New Holland dealer if you have the part numbers.

If you need to work on the PTO clutch, remove the hood, move some electrical wires and the cast iron grill/front weight. 4 bolts removes the grill/front weight.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Turn Buckle has about 1/2 threads on the inside of it on both sides if that tells you anything about adjustment. Which way should I adjust. I am trying to figure out how this PTO Clutch assembly works. When I am sitting in the operators seat, the PTO lever is pulled all the way to the rear in the locked position. If I am correct, I believe this is the OFF position. When unlocked and pushed in the forward position, the clutch? (or pulley) in the front engages and starts spinning. The mule drive belt attached to it does not spin.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:04 pm

The operation of the PTO/clutch is correct. If the pto pulley is turning then it appears to be ok.

Loose belt to mower deck? Start checking the mule drive pulleys, then the center pulley on the mower deck for a bind, stuck/frozen pulley or spindle. The deck has 3 spindles/blades and a belt tensioner.

Edit: Mower belt tension and belt routing?
I have an excuse. CRS.

akilheffer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12522

Postby akilheffer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:13 am

I had a similar problem with a 107 I just picked up. The lift release button had stuck (tractor had spent a good deal of time outside) and after I got that free the mower would still not stay up- the float button (a small button on the side of the lift handle had also stuck in the float position, I freed that up and all was well. I don't know if your 100 has the float button or not but it's something else to look for. As for the mower I had the same problem- the blades would not move when you tried to turn them by hand with the pto disengaged. I was afraid the bearings had seized but it turned out the deck belt had stuck to the pulleys from rust- I just worked it back and forth forcefully and it came unstuck. Nice looking 100 by the way!
Good luck, Andy

Return to “Cub Cadet”