This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Who's picking their first beans?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Who's picking their first beans?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:56 pm

We have gotten a couple messes of fresh green beans, but when we picked them today (Joann picked while I hauled buckets and ice water :D) we got 24 gallons gallon buckets full.. not sure what they will be when snapped and canned though. Looks like our garden is coming of a lot earlier than usual this year.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Georgia Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30528
Tractors Owned: 1975 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Georgia Boy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:04 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:We have gotten a couple messes of fresh green beans, but when we picked them today (Joann picked while I hauled buckets and ice water :D) we got 24 gallons gallon buckets full.. not sure what they will be when snapped and canned though. Looks like our garden is coming of a lot earlier than usual this year.

Sounds like about 2 1/2 bushels there John, if you got 24 gallon buckets full. Should end up being around 35 to 40 or so quarts when all is said and done. That's a pretty good picking.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:49 pm

3 gallons per bucket, x 8 buckets. canned beans came out to 64 quarts.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:06 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:3 gallons per bucket, x 8 buckets. canned beans came out to 64 quarts.
Apparently Joann didn't get some of the later buckets as full as the first ones, gonna have to talk to her about that. :D Final count was 56, minus a couple of batches we ate. Vines look their may be another pretty good size picking or two, but with high temps predicted of 100 or above for the next week they probably will not do much. Expected to break record temps for any June day, with a high predicted of 107 today and 104 tomorrow.

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:13 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote: Expected to break record temps for any June day, with a high predicted of 107 today and 104 tomorrow.

Stay cool John, that's some pretty hot weather.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Georgia Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30528
Tractors Owned: 1975 Cub

Postby Georgia Boy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:42 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:3 gallons per bucket, x 8 buckets. canned beans came out to 64 quarts.

You done better than I figured, which is a good thing. We normally get around 16 quarts out of a bushel of beans. A bushel being two 5 gallon buckets heaping, (30 pounds per bushel per the Ga Dept of Agriculture). We always grow white half runners.

Yep gonna be hot here to. Supposed to be over 100 tomorrow and for the next few days, with very little rain in sight. Everybody's beans will be dry and corn will be rolled up come Monday.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:02 pm

Picked another 14 gallons today, best crop of green beans we have had in a few years. We apparently hit it just right this year in getting them up and growing immediately after frost and being ready to pick before the heat got to them.

Got our first ripe tomato today too.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:38 pm

current total is 71 quarts and 25 pints of green beans canned. Joann threatened my life if I watered them any more. On a different note, we have okra ready to pick.

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:16 pm

Finally green beans here on the South Coast of Massachusetts. We have to wait a bit longer than a lot of other folk.

The most amazing crop I have this year is the tomatoes in the greenhouse. Being my first green-house ever, a lot of this is new to me. On one side I made a bed 12" deep, mostly composted goat manure. Well my plants are over 6' high, and they are just starting to produce little green tomatoes. I guess they like it hot because it sure does get hot in there.

Funny thing is my neighbor buys his plants at Building 19, which is the cheapest of the cheapest retail outlet, it's the type of place where you'd buy a 2011 calendar cheap, but who needs one? So he buys the cheapest plants you can find, then he gives me the smallest runts that he does not want. Last week he saw my crop and he nearly fell over !

It's yet to be seen what my crop of tomatoes is going to be.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:14 am

The green ones are still a few days yet but we are picking wax beans. Others have been picking beans for up to two weeks but since I prefer canned beans to fresh I'm never in a hurry to plant. Not much on veggies. Vern
Bob Perry wrote:Finally green beans here on the South Coast of Massachusetts. We have to wait a bit longer than a lot of other folk.

The most amazing crop I have this year is the tomatoes in the greenhouse. Being my first green-house ever, a lot of this is new to me. On one side I made a bed 12" deep, mostly composted goat manure. Well my plants are over 6' high, and they are just starting to produce little green tomatoes. I guess they like it hot because it sure does get hot in there.

Funny thing is my neighbor buys his plants at Building 19, which is the cheapest of the cheapest retail outlet, it's the type of place where you'd buy a 2011 calendar cheap, but who needs one? So he buys the cheapest plants you can find, then he gives me the smallest runts that he does not want. Last week he saw my crop and he nearly fell over !

It's yet to be seen what my crop of tomatoes is going to be.

Bob, Most of our summer veggies are quite responsive to heat. I use a high tunnel on tomatoes and remove about June 10. I have full size tom's now. Plants in center are 6 ft. Ends about 3. The ones on the end have been pruned by deer. Venision anyone? Did you start a thread for tomatoes? You've got about everything else. Vern

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:01 pm

Second planting of beans is blooming. First planting disappeared into the woodchucks, while I was at the Bash. Should be picking, next week, barring any 4 legged interference! Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Roy47 wrote:Picked my first green beans of the season last evening. Got enough to split the first picking with my daughter. They are Blue lakes bush beans and they are very tender. Got a good idea what dinner will be today.
Roy

IMHO...blue lakes are the best snap bean hands down. They always make a good stand in my poor soil, and they are tender and delicious.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:02 am

clodhopper wrote:
Roy47 wrote:Picked my first green beans of the season last evening. Got enough to split the first picking with my daughter. They are Blue lakes bush beans and they are very tender. Got a good idea what dinner will be today.
Roy

IMHO...blue lakes are the best snap bean hands down. They always make a good stand in my poor soil, and they are tender and delicious.

When I first saw this in my unread posts I thought "first beans" this late?" Have grown Blue Lakes and agree they are good but we have switched to Derby.
This has been interesting to watch as different areas first started picking but am wondering now if we could get Bob P to start new threads for last picking so as to see the opposite? I pulled our wax beans yesterday because disease was starting - probably spread from melons - but they would be done in three weeks anyway. The green beans planted elsewhere are still producing lots of beans. Vern

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:48 am

All the beans except the lima are long gone. They are producing for probably two more weeks.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”