This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Changed motor no charge

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BobbyC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28358

Changed motor no charge

Postby BobbyC » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:11 pm

I changed motors;16hp Briggs to 18hp Kolher.It doesn't charge.What can be the problem?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Changed motor no charge

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:40 pm

Kohler web site has extensive down loadable pdf service manuals for their various engines. You will need to copy the entire Kohler's service manual for your particular engine. Don't be surprised if there are several different charging systems for the same engine.

Kohler made 6 different models of 18 HP engines. Can't be of further assistance without more information
I have an excuse. CRS.

BobbyC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28358

Postby BobbyC » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:00 am

The kolher was from a craftsman and it fit on the 582.Converted the driveshaft hook up to fit.followed the wiring,tested and can not find why it won't charge.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:13 am

http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/en ... cation.htm

Above link to Kohler web site has the engine identification location. Use the same site, click on manuals to down load a service manual for your engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:44 am

http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/en ... cation.htm

Above link to Kohler web site has the engine identification location. Use the same site, click on manuals to down load a service manual for your engine.

Edit: If the engine charging system worked before installation into your lawn tractor then the problem is more than likely in the manner in which it is wired up. I have a Kohler Command series engine. There are 6 or 7 wires from the engine to the ignition switch. Before I could put the engine in service I had to trace, label, and record each of the wires to their source. Then diagram/sketch switch terminals, test, record, and figure out how the ignition switch functioned at each switch terminal.

All of this was with the service manual's wiring diagram in hand.

Once I knew and understood where each wire went and it function and the switches function at each terminal - I could connect the engine wires to the switch. I did have to jumper two terminals on the switch to get everything to work properly.

The service manual for your engine will have wiring diagrams and diagnostic test for the charging system.

All switches do not function alike even is they have the same number of connection terminals. If you used the switch from the 582 it's internal switching function will more than likey not work correctly for the Kohler engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Cub Cadet”