This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wheel Centers

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mr Joshua
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63023
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
Circle of Safety: Y

Wheel Centers

Postby Mr Joshua » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:43 am

I was working on my 51 super a this weekend and found out how much rust sucks. I am working on changing out the brake lining. I first off loosened all the bolts and nuts for the finals and the rear wheels. Then I found the best way i could to jack the rear of the tractor up and put it on stands. I then pulled the bolts from the the engine side rear wheel. Of course for some reason with all the bolts off the center will not come free. I said fine then be that way. Got the outer rim and tire of the center and continued on. I ended up getting the engine side brake changed out with the wheel center still attached all by myself ( not an easy task when i only way 125lbs soaking wet). Got to the other side. took all the bolts out and it was stuck too. so my questing is. Is there an easy way to free up the rear wheel centers or am i missing a step on removing them?
Trying to figure out the easiest way to do this without breaking my back. Finals ate not light or easy to line up with the extra weight hanging off the axle.
Thanks
Josh
Mr. Joshua

74 VW super beetle (o\ /o)
1955 cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
and any of TC's toys

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Wheel Centers

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:33 am

You really want to get the right wheel center off the axle. It weighs just shy of 200 pounds by itself. Unless you have lifting equipment, taking it off with the rim/tire is not a bad way to handle it. Just be sure to keep the wheel upright.

Sometimes you can break them loose by loosening the bolts about 1 turn then driving the tractor around. Obviously, you want to put the bolts back in and just leave them a little loose.

Mr Joshua
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63023
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1951 Super A
1945 A

Postby Mr Joshua » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:41 am

Got the rear wheel off last night. Took everything i had to get its off. I ended up backing the lug bolts out about a 1/4 inch and shaking the tractor back and forth till i saw movement. had to add a little heat to the seam before it came free. No joke on the 200 pound center. Bit the big surprise was when i found that the tire was filled with calcium. now i know hwy this tractor has seemed so darn heavy. I ended up taking the wheel off with my cherry picker cause i could not budge it. Worst part about the whole ordeal is that once i took the rim off i bumped the jack stand on the right side and found that with the weight of the wheel off the tractor was no longer on the stand. Big scare. Made m thing the tractor was going to tip. I then through a couple front wheel weights on the platform and wedged some wood in the front end so the weight was back on the stand.
thanks for the info Jim.
Josh
Mr. Joshua

74 VW super beetle (o\ /o)
1955 cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
and any of TC's toys

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:25 am

Mr Joshua wrote:wedged some wood in the front end

That would have been a real good step 1. I bet it will be next time!

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”