This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cheap and Dirty Tree Grubber

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Cheap and Dirty Tree Grubber

Postby ricky racer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:25 pm

I have a couple of fence rows that I maintain and have spent many hours cutting back the trees to my property line. It never amazes me how fast new trees grow and if you don't keep up with them, well, you know what happens. Pulling out the small trees is the usual option. That typically requires a larger tractor (one of my green ones) some chain and many trips on and off the tractor to hook the chain, pull the tree and unhook the chain, then do it all over again. If you do it all by yourself it's a real pain.

I have been contemplating making a tree grubber for some time but was concerned that the Cub hydraulics were to anemic to pull even a small tree. Looking back to how the pioneers pulled stumps after the areas were timbered I noticed they used a block and tackle to pull the stumps upward. It seems that pulling a tree up is the easiest way to pull a tree. Easier that pulling at a right angle like we typically do with a tractor.
I decided to give it a try after coming up with a design that would be easy to make, wouldn't cost much and if it didn't work, I'd try to use the metal for something else. I have seen tree grubbers on other sites so this is not a new idea, I just adapted it to my Cub.

Here is what I came up with:

I used the anchor from my Cheap and Dirty Boom Lift (which is why I wanted to make that modular) so I just had to make the grubber attachment.

Using it requires me to back up to a tree and lower the grubber:

Back firmly into the tree as low as possible:

This is where the Cub hydraulics are a bit too weak. The lift alone will not pull most trees, but by backing up while pulling up with the grubber, every tree that I've tried it on has popped right out of the ground and I didn't have to get on and off the tractor to hook and unhook a chain. :{_}: To dislodge the tree just drop the grubber back down and drive forward. Most of the time I've had to grab the tree and push it as I drive forward to completely dislodge it.

The grubber is made from 4" channel. I cut it 10" long and cut the "V" in it with my bandsaw.

I cut an angle on the "V" to give it more bite when engaging the tree. To cut the angle in the "V" I supported the channel on a 2x4 on one side while cutting out the "V":

I welded the grubber to an upright of 4" channel, added the pivot bar and attached a lift chain.
Last edited by ricky racer on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: Cheap and Dirty Tree Grubber

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Ricky,

Thanks for the pics. As always, very well done. Boy, do you have my gears turning, thinking about adapting something for a FH.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Rick:

I like that. ... very nice idea. I have tons of small trees along my eastern lot line that needs exactly that type of extraction. I guess I might have a new project as soon as it warms up :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Anonymous_h
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Anonymous_h » Sat May 26, 2012 8:20 am

Great use of the mind again Rick!

Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ida Red » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:50 am

Thanks for the excellent pics of the Grubber.
IHC made a quality machine and was leader of the pack.Let's keep them running,

Return to “Projects Forum”