This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Headlight Gaskets

Tips and tricks on repairs to your Cub’s structure.
johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Headlight Gaskets

Postby johnbron » Sun May 01, 2005 8:47 pm

I discovered a new how-too today. I did a lot of maintainance & carb fixin today on Cub~2. I decided to take the headlights apart and clean them, Well as you all know who have done this that the old rubber rim gaskets crumble and falls apart. I started looking for something to make a gasket out of and found my cars old wiper blades that I had replaced before the winter rains. Yup, You guessed it, The rubber off them old blades worked perfect making a good tight lens fit. As the old saying goes, If`ya aint got it "Make`it".
Then came Bronson

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Kodiak » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:35 pm

Could you send me a pm with details or post some details as to the procedure? I need a gasket for a rear work light and this seems like a great idea!

Thanks Ron
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:14 pm

Kodiak wrote:Could you post some details as to the procedure? I need a gasket for a rear work light and this seems like a great idea!

Thanks Ron

Sure Ron, To the best My recollection can collect :lol:

When I replace wiper blades I only replace the inserts with Anco or whatever quality brand. Just strip the rubber from the stainless stiffener first. Then wrap it around your light housing where the original gasket was. Then mark it for length or as in My case I held it to length and snipped it with dikes. When you have the correct length (This is the fuzzy memory part) put the rubber in place and then put the ring on and fasten it. I do remember that keeping it in place was kinda tricky trying to hold it in place with one hand while putting the ring/clamp on with My other hand so if you have help the extra hands come in "Handy". [YOU*CAN*DO*IT]
Then came Bronson

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Kodiak » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:38 pm

I thought that might be how you did it. Sounds easier enough. Like you said the tricky part is holding everything in place. I bought headlight gaskets and used black electrical tape to hold the gasket , then just trimmed it away after the headlights were assembled.
Thanks
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:44 pm

I discovered that thin rubber door weather stripping works great for headlight gaskets.

Return to “Frame/Sheet Metal”