This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Removing Starter Bendix

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Removing Starter Bendix

Postby Dan England » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:00 pm

I am replacing the bendix of the starter on a Farmall H. I have removed the two long bolts from the back of the frame. However, when I try to slide the starter motor out of the frame, something seems to prevent the bendix and related washers from sliding out of the drive housing. Shouldn't they slide out freely? Do I need to tap on the front of the drive housing bushing? I need advice before I proceed further and possibly damage the unit. Thanks, Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:10 pm

If you are trying to remove the armature from the sarter, check for grooves on the commutator that the brushes may be catching in, or enven a spacer washer that is coming out with the armature instead of staying in the housing (brushes catching behind it).
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:46 pm

Thanks, John. I now have the starter motor and bendix out of the housing. Now to exchange the bendix between the good starter and a parts one. The bendix in the good starter has two problems: There has been so much wear against the ring gear that 50% of the ridges on the bendix are gone. Also, the bendix is locked in place. Even when I try to turn in by hand it does not rotate forward. If I loosen the two bolts on the motor drive can I slip the motor drive and all parts in front of it off of one starter and replace it with the equivalent good unit from the parts starter. Thanks, Dan

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:16 pm

Got the starter cleaned up and changed out the bendix. It seemed to function properly when I tested it. Will install in tractor tomorrow and see if it really will work. Also, cleaned up the coil. Will install it tomorrow and , if the coil functions, I think the H will start and run. It has been a couple of years since it ran. Thanks for the instructions and advice. Dan

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:27 pm

Way to go Dan :!: :!: Just got your voice mail message. I won't bother to call :lol: :lol:
8)

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:21 pm

Donny: I will let you know of the result. I have my fingers crossed. If the coil functions I believe it will run. I received your new phone numbers. Thanks, Dan

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”