This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil Galley's Question

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Oil Galley's Question

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:23 am

Need some help on my C-60 engine. (I know the numbered section is elsewhere, but this area has more readers and I need a lot of help)

Are the pushrods, valves, and cam oiled via splash or is there an oil galley that provides lubrication for them? All I can find in the service manual is a picture reference that seems to show oil being slung out of the rod bearings to lube the cam, pushrods, and lower valve stems.

Can I pull the valve cover off and watch it run to make sure it is getting oiled properly? I am not too excited about getting an oil bath.

I just finished replacing the crankshaft and want to make sure that oil is making it to all of the right places. How do I know that oil is making it to the main bearings? (I am specifically concerned about the #4 cylinder because that is where the original cranshaft broke)
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Oil Galley's Question

Postby Former Member » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:33 am

Yes it has an oil pump and "gallies".

To prime the pump:

Remove the oil filter cover
at about 1 o'clock and 1" down, inside the cup you will see a small hole
with an oil can, squirt oil into that hole, till it won't take any more.
with a hand crank, or very short burst with the starter, turn the engine over a couple times

Repeat above untill oil squirts back out the hole--the pump is primed.

Replace cap and start your motor, watch our guage for oil pressure. you should have some after just a few seconds.

Good luck

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:53 am

outdoors4evr wrote:...Are the pushrods, valves, and cam oiled via splash or is there an oil galley that provides lubrication for them? All I can find in the service manual is a picture reference that seems to show oil being slung out of the rod bearings to lube the cam, pushrods, and lower valve stems.

Can I pull the valve cover off and watch it run to make sure it is getting oiled properly? I am not too excited about getting an oil bath...

The tappets (pushrods) and cam are oil fed. You can pull the valve cover and see holes on each tappet guide, on the other side of the tappet, a mirrored hole goes into the oil galley. You typically will not see oil coming from this hole as the oil forced to the tappet will escape up and down as well. There is no way to verify that oil is traveling to each place it's supposed to with the engine together. It's one of those faith things based on oil pressure!!
You can see the oil galleys in the picture below...

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:55 am

Page 1-53 of GSS 1411, service manual, has a pictoral of the oil galleries/lubrication system. The pictoral shows all points being supplied with oil under pressure.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:26 am

The oil pump was easy to prime and I have oil pressure. How much pressure I don't know but it is enough to turn off the idiot light. I wish I knew that oil was getting to that #4 rod bearing.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:32 am

Remove the pressure switch for a pressure gauge to see how much actual pressure you have. If it's not knocking, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think lack of oil pressure would break the crank, it must have had a flaw in it of some sort.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:15 pm

If you take a look at the reference in my earlier post you will find that the #3 main bearing and #4 rod bearing are first in line to receive oil.

The crankshaft broke for some reason other than lack of oil. You would have found symptoms of oil starvation on the rod and main bearings during disassembly.

As Raymond suggests, obtain an oil pressure gauge or if you have one use the gauge in some compression, vacuum, fuel pump test kits.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”