This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rabbit season is off to another good start

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rabbit season is off to another good start

Postby deputy jailer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:51 am

Since opening day in November My dad, cousin and me have bagged 152 to date. Looks like a lot of good breakfasts ahead for us and a lot of the older folks around the house. Other than turkey hunting this is my passion and gives me time with my dad, some memories just cant be bought :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Re: Rabbit season is off to another good start

Postby Bigschuss » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:05 am

[quote="deputy jailer"]this is my passion and gives me time with my dad, some memories just cant be bought :D

Well said. And nice shooting!

We don't have cottontails where I hunt...just snowshoes.

My grampa was a lifelong rabbit hunter here in the Northeast. Always had beagles, belonged to the hunt clubs, would spend hours on the mountain at all times of the day and night with his buddies....he called cottontails "grey-bobs." Have you ever heard of that in your neck of the woods. I've always wondered where that term came from?

Blair
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:30 am

In the sixtys we had plenty of rabbits. Getting your limit of 6 was a nice afternoon of listening to the beagles yodel.
Now, rabbits a few and far between. Deer are the abundant animal.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:43 am

Rabbits are very abundant here since the big ice storm in 2009 brought down a lot of trees here. Our dogs will jump usually 12 minimum during a days hunt here and we kill less than half of whats jumped. I dont know what we have the most of now, rabbit or squirrel :D And in our area we are 3 of the 9 that even hunt 8)

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby grumpy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:22 pm

Bigschuss wrote:
deputy jailer wrote:this is my passion and gives me time with my dad, some memories just cant be bought :D

....he called cottontails "grey-bobs." Have you ever heard of that in your neck of the woods. I've always wondered where that term came from?

Blair

Not sure if this is the same but my grandfather used to tell us NOT to shoot when you see the "grey a bobbin" cause you'll shoot em in the "butt" and have a skillet full of lead. :-) Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:27 am

Virginia Mike wrote:In the sixtys we had plenty of rabbits. Getting your limit of 6 was a nice afternoon of listening to the beagles yodel.
Now, rabbits a few and far between. Deer are the abundant animal.

Same here Mike, haven't seen one in the wild for several years.
I'd bet there ain't 152 rabbits in this whole state anymore. We had one living in the yard this summer and it was the talk of the neighborhood. :lol:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:14 am

I used to love rabbit hunting in the 70 s. There are a few rabbits around but nothing like it used to be. Nothing more fun than having a couple beagles running rabbits, I think the large number of coyotes is to blame.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Joe Malinowski wrote:I used to love rabbit hunting in the 70 s. There are a few rabbits around but nothing like it used to be. Nothing more fun than having a couple beagles running rabbits, I think the large number of coyotes is to blame.

I agree Joe....coyotes take some, no doubt. But also the forestry practices are not what they used to be. In the 1950's through 70s, the forest in the Northeast was basically a young, early successional growth and was surrounded by more farmland. Lots of cover, and lots of browse. Now, those forests are over 100 years old are are now in a mid-successional stage...tall trees with large canopies which shade the forst floor, providing no cover and no browse. The farms are now all developments and cul-de-sacs.

So yes, poor habitat, lack of cover, lack of food, and more coyotes all equals low rabbit populations. And this probably won't change unless states get back to the practice of clearcutting.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”