This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Optics

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Optics

Postby Harold R » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:45 am

Looks like I'll have a little more time this year to do some hunting, so I'm in the market for a better scope for my rifle. I currently have a Bushnell scope, but I can't see very well through it. It seems a little dim, or hazy compared to outside light. I'd say it's adequate for 100yds. But at about 300 yds. I couldn't tell the difference between a turkey and a stump. I suppose I'm going to have to get a little deeper in the pocket, but what have you guys found to be a good rifle scope for the money? I think the Bushnell 3-9 was on sale at around $100. I looked through some $300.00 Nikon scopes....and they looked like HD tv compared to what I have.....but I didn't want to have more invested in a scope, than I do in a gun. 8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Optics

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:32 am

Send your existing scope back to Bushnell, it may have a problem they will fix for little or no charge. I think they have a 5 year or maybe longer warranty.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Georgia Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30528
Tractors Owned: 1975 Cub

Postby Georgia Boy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:43 am

Nice looking 760 there. I have a Nikon Monarch on my 7600 and have no complaints except it does not have the eye relief that my Leupold Mark lll has. But it is clear as a bell. Just to add, IMO a gun without a good set of optics is handicapped.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:03 pm

I agree with John, if it is still within warranty. It may have a leak and has gotten moisture in it. I had that happen with a Weaver and it only cost me $50 to have it repaired. My favorite scopes are the Leupolds.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Steve K. CALIF
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93636
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub #550
1962 LoBoy

Postby Steve K. CALIF » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:31 pm

Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. Years ago, I had a Weaver 3-9x scope on my .243 rifle. A friend and I were shooting ground squirrels on a late afternoon day and the light was fading. He told me there was a target out to about 250 yards and it was in plain sight through his scope. I couldn't see it at all through the Weaver. He handed me his Leupold scoped 6mm Remmington to take a look at the target. It was like "turning on a light switch"!
Good scopes have much better light gathering qualities than lesser quality scopes. I now use the best I can afford for longer range rifles. I tend to shoot my .22-250 out to 500yd and sometimes more, but that is another story.
Then again, your scope may have an issue. All I can say is try looking through a Leupold or equal in the field and you will be amazed. I was. Steve K.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Myself, I have never owned a Bushnell product that I was ever satisfied with. They all have lacked clarity and sharpness. Granted I have never popped for the top of the line Bushnell scope but every Bushnell Binoculars or scopes that I have owned, encouraged me not to spend any more money on Bushnell products. I have a Weaver 4X, 1" tube scope on my Ruger .22 Deluxe and it is a pretty good scope. However, it's a pretty old scope and I can't attest to the newer products made by Weaver. If I am correct, Weave went out of the optics business at one time and are now making scopes again.

As far as Scopes go, Leupold is what I buy. Never had a bad one, never have seen a clearer scope anywhere and never been disappointed with their performance. Nikon makes great lenses for cameras and maybe their scopes are top notch but I have no experience with them. I have a pair of Nikon 10 x42 hunting binoculars and they are pretty good but not at the level of my Leupold scope. Just my 2 cents.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:09 pm

I have an old school Redfield 3x9 Illuminator on my 760. It's been on there for some time and it still gets the job done. If I had to put a scope on a deer rifle today, I would use a Simmons or a Nikon. I like the Simmons because of price, but Nikon makes some really good scopes. I put a Nikon on Kelsie's Ruger 10-22.

"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:20 pm

Ideally I would spring for a Leupold. When I don't want to spend that much, it's hard to beat a Simmons. Go to a reputable dealer instead of the discount retailers. They'll have a better model

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Thomas

wheelhorse656
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45356

Postby wheelhorse656 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:27 pm

you can get a new bushnell 3x9x32 sportsman scope for 40-50 bucks. They are not rejects or anything like that... He buys them from bushnell and sells them for about what he pays plus shipping. I own 3 and all are as clear as day..... Ones on my .22 and I can shoot 1.5" group at 75 yards easy. I would say go for one of those if you havent already bought another.......

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Re: Optics (Update)

Postby Harold R » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:26 pm

I picked up a couple of hunting rifles from my FIL, who has decided to divest himself of a few in his collection. Both guns have great optics. I've only shot them a couple of times, but I really like the Optima 30-06 with the Leupold scope. I'm missing the muzzle load barrel, but I've never shot black powder so I don't know what I'm missing, other than a few extra hunting days. :) The 760 with the Bushnell will take a back seat for a while.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Harold, I decided to take-up hunting with a muzzle loader. I bought the CVA Optima and put the Nikon Omega BDC scope on it. Try the muzzle loader barrel....I'll bet you'll enjoy it. Oh, I also decided to buy a new rifle...I bought a Marlin X7C 270 and went with the Bushnell Trophy XLT scope. Looks like I'll be hunting from Oct 1 to Jan 31 next season. :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”