This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall A U bolt

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
F-Troop
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: t8h1x3

Farmall A U bolt

Postby F-Troop » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:41 am

This may be a silly question but did all A's come with the front axle U bolt? I have a 1940 A and there is no sign of the U bolt except some holes in the casting? Is it very importent and if so can you just use a regular U bolt to replace it. If so what size is needed? Thanks in advance for any and all advise.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

B Shaver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22802
Tractors Owned: Cletrac HG-42 1945
Oliver HG-68 1946
M-F MF50 1959
IH 184 Loboy 1977
Farmall F Cub 1949
Farmall Cub 1957
No 1 Platform Carrier
L-F194 Plow

Re: Farmall A U bolt

Postby B Shaver » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:31 am

I sold my "A" several years ago, but I do have one of the U bolts. I'm thinking that the bolt was to limit the front axle swing on uneven ground( tractor stability). The bolt material is 1/2 in rod. the spread is 4 inches cc and the length is 9 1/2 in. from the outside of the bend.

Hope tthis helps.

Bill Shaver
IHCC of Virginia, Chapter 41

F-Troop
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: t8h1x3

Postby F-Troop » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:14 am

That is exactly what I was looking for. thanks

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:55 am

That u-bolt is very important for stability in my opinion. On the 140, access to one of the nuts on that u-bolt is possible only with the bolster removed from the tractor. As I remember, the crank pulley is in the way for wrench access- and the bolster is in the way for pulley removal. In my case, the left spindle assembly was stuck in the axle tube, preventing removal of the axle tube from the U-bolt. So the bolster and axle assembly had to be removed from the front of the engine together. Awkward, to say the least. Then the u-bolt could be removed, permitting removal of the axle. Then the fun of getting the stick spindle out of the axle tube.
My guess is that a previous repair on your tractor involved removing the bolster. The u-bolt was removed. When the bolster was reinstalled, it was then discovered that the u-bolt could not be reinstalled with the bolster on the engine and they just discarded it.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”