This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tire Life

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Tire Life

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 pm

How about rotating the tires? Turn the inside of each tire to the outside.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:31 pm

What Jim says, also I pick up used tire/rims for the Snapper for about $5. No setting the toe in on that puppy. All worn out bushing holes and pigeon toed. Plows all the time. Snapper bushings need to be replaced every couple of years, but that does not happen.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 am

Often one tire is slightly more turned than the other. This is because it is difficult to manufacture a high-end steering mechanism on a budget. All manufacturers are guilty of it.

One tire/wheel (the inside tire/wheel in a turn) turns more because of the Ackermann Steering Geometry that is used on everything from remote control cars to semi's, including Cubs, Cub Cadets, and other lawn/Garden tractors. You can Google "Ackerman Steering" and find the explanations for it because it is too incolved for me to try to explain here, or anyplace else for that matter.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:45 am

In fact, if you just search for "Ackerman" on this site you will find a bunch of past discussion.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:20 am

Couple things to add.

Checked the tire pressure again and it is/was very close to the 14lbs indicated. One tire has a lot of wear on the outer side of the tire and the other has more wear in the centre of the tire. Couldn't actually read where they were made but they are Carlisle's and the rears are as well. The rear's quite clearly have Made in USA on them and they are in great shape (10lbs pressure).

Whilst I was off yesterday looking for upgrade parts for my hydraulic project (main forum) - I was visiting a small engine shop that I have dealt with a lot over the last 20 years or so. While looking for a tank, I spied what appeared to be some tires of the correct size. Yup, 15x6.00 - both Carlisle's and one is a twin of the the style on mine and the other is similar but tread is different. $15.00 each and a total of $40.00 mounted. Think that is a pretty good deal even unmatched. Probably will go that route.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:43 am

First i purchased a manual tire changer from harbor freight along with the smaller tire changer too. I made a bracket that attaches the smaller tire changer to the larger changer spindle so i don't need to bend over its right up there to be worked on. Now i'm going to get the bubble balancer next so i can do car tires. I started off in my mechanic life with these elmanual tire changers anyway its nothing new to me. If i have a bad tire with cracks its good to put a tube in it early so it will last longer but don't pump too much air in it, keep it low in air pressure.

With tire cracks i think the sun takes it toll on them with the constant heat and ultraviolet rays drying them out. If you store your tractor outside cover it, tires too. Applying vegetable oil to the outside of the tires that are cracked will swell up the rubber to zero cracks again. I read this somewhere but i haven't tried it yet.

I purchased new tires for most of my 10 tractors. Wear wise so far the fire stone turf ties on my cub cadet seem to be wearing way less than the other tire brands. I really don't think they have worn yet in 4 years of use so far. The fire stone tires aren't cheap but if they last longer they maybe worth buying. Bill

I have more $$ tied up in new tires than all my tractors added up for sure. I have 3 rib, tru power ag's, turf tires on my cadets of various brands and new tires for my fcub and int154's too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Rudi wrote:
My JD L-111 on the other hand is about 5 years old, has 320 hours on the clock and the front tires are worn out :shock: And I have no idea why as the tires are always inflated to the proper tire pressure. This makes no sense especially since these tires are probably the ones I have taken the best care of.

Hey Rudi. Long time no see. I just wanted to tell you that there are other models of the JD line that can provide you with good parts for your JD-L111 too. Go to http://www.deere.com (I know, I know) and do a look up on L110, L118, heck - even some of the Sabre and Scott's tractors. The parts are the same in many places as your JD L-111.

Just something else to think about.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:34 pm

Rick:

Yup, there is a whole line that can provide parts, any of the L-100 series should do. I haven't decided what to do yet, I like the price from Al, but am looking at what rims (from other makes maybe) that may fit and if it is affordable to get them tires on rims. Busy cutting and splitting my winter wood (Ellie is getting a nice little workout with the splitter) so the tire repairs will have to take a back seat for a week or so.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Fact; Since i first purchased tractor tires the prices right now have almost doubled. I still watch ebay for a deal. I got two 11.2 x 24 ag's for my loader/hoe for $300 + ship for two tires from tucker. I wanted to dual up four 31'' x 1550 15'' tru power tires on a cub cadet but its almost $500 for two tires now. Bill
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Cub Cadet”