This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Voltage Regulator 102

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lafleur94
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Voltage Regulator 102

Postby lafleur94 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:30 pm

I bought a voltage regulator for my cub 102. the posts are all differently labeled than the original. unfortunatly i wired it up so it wouldnt arch out and it fired up and ran great! but the generator got so hot that it smoked a little. and burned to the touch. the posts lable Top: F middle: Bat Bottom: L. on the back there is another post. i have it ground to the bottom of the regulator. i also have no lights. i have tried everything i can think of! im lost help please

THANKS
Cub Cadet 102

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Voltage Regulator 102

Postby Eugene » Sat May 28, 2011 8:20 am

E-mail sent, Operator's manual for the 102. Electrical system (includes wiring diagram) is on pages 14 thru 19.
I have an excuse. CRS.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Sat May 28, 2011 8:47 am

lafleur94 wrote:I bought a voltage regulator for my cub 102. the posts are all differently labeled than the original. unfortunatly i wired it up so it wouldnt arch out and it fired up and ran great! but the generator got so hot that it smoked a little. and burned to the touch. the posts lable Top: F middle: Bat Bottom: L. on the back there is another post. i have it ground to the bottom of the regulator. i also have no lights. i have tried everything i can think of! im lost help please

THANKS

Sounds like you left the good smoke out of the S/G(the generating coil is shot) and you probably need another VR. The VR that have the L(load or light) are internally hooked to the Batt.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Sat May 28, 2011 4:49 pm

That is not the correct VR, but it will work if it is connected correctly. That post on the back is not a ground, it should go to the armature post on the starter generator, and nothing connected to the "L" terminal. The "F" terminal connects to the starter generator Field post. The "Bat" connects to the solenoid. You have probably fried the starter generator.

lafleur94
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lafleur94 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:10 pm

all is well guys. i wired it up and turned the key and she fired right up! the battery seems to be charging and the S/G is at a normal running temp. thanks for all your help!
Cub Cadet 102

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:34 am

These can be a real PIA at times but when its finally right a load has been lifted off or backs. Life is good when the needle goes in the charging area.
I have one that charges when it wants too. Sometimes it charges and sometimes it don't. I will pull the cover and clean the contacts on the VR first. The VR seems lazy. Bill
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Cub Cadet”