This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No Fire in the Wire---Magneto Troubleshoot

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

No Fire in the Wire---Magneto Troubleshoot

Postby Super A » Mon May 30, 2011 2:32 pm

Started tinkering on the white Super A this afternoon. Magneto impulse clicks when you hand crank the engine, was hoping I could just rub the points a little and make fire. When I got the breaker cover off, I saw the leaf spring on the moving point had broken. I had a new point and condenser set lying around, so I went ahead and took the mag off and replaced all that. Condenser was tricky but I got it. Had a time getting the screw loose on the stationary point but I got that apart and since I couldn't find my feeler gauge anywhere, I used a piece of the cardboard boxtop to set the points. Backwoodsy-hillbilly but the points connect and break so I felt like that was in the ballpark.

Long story short I still have no spark. The inside of the distributor cap looks pretty corroded, so I tried pulling the wire from the coil cover to the dist. cap and trying to get a spark from there (trying to arc it off the side of the engine block) but still no spark. The connection in the coil cover looks pretty good, and the inside "tab" that touches the coil itself is bright, shiny copper. (The coil cover could be original. It has the old IHC trademark instead of the IH "man on a tractor" logo) I did knock the glaze off the dimple on the coil, and on the rotor button.

The only thing I can think of is the coil itself. What else should I look for?

Boss I wish that auction with the white Super A had been before your Cubfest--then I would have had some help! :big smile:

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Re: No Fire in the Wire---Magneto Troubleshoot

Postby Boss Hog » Mon May 30, 2011 4:03 pm

Al I have a hot mag here, send address , you can have it for postage cost :D
I dont do mags you know :D
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon May 30, 2011 5:06 pm

Boss,

I knew you didn't keep generators around long but I didn't know about mags..... ;)

PM Sent

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Mon May 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Al,

I'm a J4 man, not an H4, but if you cleaned and set points, and still have no fire, it's gotta be the coil, I think. Unless you have a grounded connection somewhere. Take Boss up on his offer, and see if that gets you going. If not, let's talk.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Mon May 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Rick,

When I opened it up, there was a little bit of tar-like stuff that had oozed out of the coil on one side. It wasn't much, but based on some other stuff I have read, it led me to suspect the coil.

There's one other thing. The wire that goes from the condenser to the movable point looked like it had gotten hot at the terminal end. Not hot enough to melt off the insulation, but it had distorted a little bit. Also, the insulation was nicked near the terminal. I tried to make sure I had the wire away from the magneto frame when I re-assembled it, but who knows--that could be part of the trouble too.

Anyway, I sent Boss a PM. Figure that is the best way to get going, though I do wanna figure out what is wrong with this one....

Al

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue May 31, 2011 12:01 pm

Coils were oil filled and do go bad.Replace coil,would be a good start.Love to see people jump when they get blasted by a mag!!!.Kevin :evil: :evil: :evil:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

RUSTY2
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: N0P1Z0

Postby RUSTY2 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:38 pm

Sounds like a coil issue.
Was the plastic (bakolite) connection at the ground post for the kill switch in tact ?

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Tue May 31, 2011 9:21 pm

All the bakelite parts looked good. Leaning heavily towards the coil.

Al

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”