This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow blower project

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Snow blower project

Postby cjpenny89 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:57 am

Ok I know a cub and my 100 wont run a snow blower we all know the reasons but what if I took a 4' snow thrower and mounted a 12.5 hp engine to it used that to run the blower and just used the tractor as a driving tool. I thought I could use the snow plow fram on the Cub and My 100 since there similar to hold and lift a blower and use the 12.5 hp engine to run the blower.
I have the engine and I also have a electronic pulley system that just needs 12 volt to it and it changes it from free wheel to turning the pulley its prety neat I got it off a Cub power unit set up.

1) will the cub and 100 lift it. (my 100 should I could use the IH-1000 loader frame for it)
2) is 12.5 hp big enough to power a 4' blower?

I am open to any suggestions I push the snow now with the cub and 100 factory blades this year I have the IH-1000 loader but my driveway is 660' long and I get tired of raking gravel year after year is the project worth doing? All I have to do is find a blower 4' would be a great size but is it to big for my motor?

please comment lets make a project!
"don't find fault, find a remedy"
1948 Cub, 1945 A, 1955 100

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Re: Snow blower project

Postby Into Tractors » Fri May 27, 2011 12:54 pm

Chad, can it be done, sure. I've seen a few projects of them and have had one on the back burner myself. Rick Prentice did one, and there are at least 2 more folks who have fabricated one up.
Here's a coupe of links you might want to check out:

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49288&hilit=+blower
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17403&hilit=+blower
Mike Duncan

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri May 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Chad:

That is exactly the project I am working on now. Hoping to have it finally done this summer (that is why I took the welding course) :) I have a 52" 2 stage blower that is going to be mounted on a full frame that extends from the front to the rear drawbar. I haven't decided which engine I am going to use for this project, I have an 8hp Tecumseh Sno King, a 10hp Tecumseh Sno King as well as possible access to a 16hp Wisconsin as possible power units for the blower. The engine will be mounted in one of two possible places ... ahead of the cub itself .. but that posses problems in extending the blower out too far, and the other will be behind the front wheels in front of the op platform.

As Michael posted there are a couple threads on this subject:

Snowblower for a cub?
Farmall Cub with snow blower !
Lookee What I Just Acquired
Cub snow thrower power?
Snow Blower project (UPDATED PICS)
Another Snowblower project

This is not all of them... I searched the archives simply for Rejean aka Qbatar on YouTube and got 18 hits so there is a bunch of stuff to look at.

One thing the I kind of figured out since I happen to have an IH50 that these snowthrowers are probably too heavy and too difficult to configure to use on our Cubs which is why I am still going to use my expanded 2 stage.

Rejean has already proved that a Cub can and will lift a 52" blower - his is an ATV sized blower and it is 52" or 54" .. I kinda forget. Best fit for a Cub would be 52". 12.5hp is more than enough to power a 48" blower. Remember though that the 12.5hp engine in a normal snow blower setup is not only powering the blower but also it is driving the whole unit at the same time -- so it is transferring at least 50% of it's output to the drive train. Remove the drive train needs and all of a sudden you have much more power available to power the blower. Also depending on the design of your drive train for the blower such as a gear box or belts and pulleys will determine the power requirement as well.

If you can fabricate a mounting bracket for the blower lower frame cage that will bolt up to the Leveling and Grader Blade frame, then the only thing you will have to figure out is how to mount the engine. Originally Danco had the engine for their Snow Blower/Thrower mounted at the back on the drawbar using from what I can figure out a jack shaft to transfer power from the rear mounted engine to the front mounted blower.

Post pics etc., and document your project as it goes along whether it works or not ... both are useful in developing a good plan.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:50 pm

I have a snow blower/thower that has the frame and was mounted on a job. I have been trying to sell it for years. Can send you pix Chad. We don't get much snow and my neighbor has a Troybilt that he bought for us to use. And seeing my house is right on the corner the driveways are not very long. Would take $70 for it or best offer...

Chris Wallace

BigMatt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46163
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Moe"
1950 Farmall M
1978 IH 184

Postby BigMatt » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:11 am

OK, I have been waiting for these snowblower projects to materialize. Where are they? I want to see some pictures!

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:51 am

I ran out of money!
"don't find fault, find a remedy"
1948 Cub, 1945 A, 1955 100

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:56 am

cjpenny89 wrote:I ran out of money!
Boy do I know that feeling.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:14 am

Matt:

Time, other projects, honey-do list and health issues have been keeping this one still in the non-progressing stage. It will get done though. Only major items left is to build the mounting system for the finals/drawbar and mounting the engine for the blower.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:01 pm

I know you guys are serious fcubbers but i have 5 snow removal tractors set up to compare them a few winters ago.

1, fucb with snow plow. Did an awesome job but the front lifting link on the plow needs to be a chain so there is no down pressure applied to the blade.

2. int154 with creeper / snowplow Did an awesome job and having the creeper low speed was great. If i was going to install a two stage snow blower it would be on this tractor. And maybe run by hydraulics off the PTO.

3. 108 cub cadet with creeper and 38'' snow thrower. It also worked great and cleaned the driveway in 3 passes. The only drawback it doesn't throw the snow that far. But in low range it never hesitated.

4. '55 jeep cj5 4x4 tractor with lockers F&R with 2 sets of tire chains. What can i say its unstoppable.

4. cub cadet 70 with snow plow. The 8hp kohler replacement engine really impressed me. It can pile up snow decent for its size.

Now in running all 5 tractors during the winter its the int154 loboy with the creeper is where i would put a two stage snow blower on.

Now for snow blowers i have never seen any snow blower come close to a gravely L8 walk behind tractor yet. It could blow heavy wet slushy snow up and over the telephone poles. It was awesome to watch. All my neighbors came out to watch it. Bill
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Projects Forum”