This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Doing people favors.....

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Doing people favors.....

Postby BigBill » Thu May 19, 2011 6:27 pm

I had a local guy who i knew for a while ask me to repair his brakes on his cub cadeet 86. I took the job and fixed the brakes and noticed the cotter pin was missing on the brake/clutch rod. The rod didn't fall out but i put in a new pin. I adjusted the brakes till it just stopped. The clutch adjustment was perfect. With the cotter pin missing i'm thinking someone worked on it. I had no clue as to why.

Here's were it gets better;
On the short test drive to make sure the brakes worked ok(few feet) as i went to park it bangs and noises started out from the clutch area. Seconds before this its the sweetest cadet i have ever drove. Upon inspection i seen the drive disc pins out of the plate with one missing too. Someone left the clutch bracket loose and they put 3/8'' loc washer on the 5/16'' bolts. One bolt was missing and the other one was loose. The bracket swung forward and hit the driving disc pins. Now it needs a driver disc + a clutch and i'm sure if anything else bent. I just talked with the owner and he said the PO just had clutch work done on it. Of course they left everything loose.

Just doing a guy a favor right and it had to go beserk on me right? I'm starting to know why the local lawnmower guy won't touch the older cub cadets. He said he can't seem to make any $$ profit on them. It just doesn't pay to be a nice guy willing to help someone out.... Bill
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

CubitisNH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Doing people favors.....

Postby CubitisNH » Fri May 20, 2011 8:50 pm

Bill-No good deed goes unpunished!
Mike
How can you have too many Cubs????

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Fri May 20, 2011 10:17 pm

I will not work on someone elses equipment, just for reasons like you describe. If I know what the problem is, I will tell them how to fix it, but I will not do the work. I got burnt once (finding and installing an engine to get a "family" Original running), and have not touched someone elses equipment since.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun May 22, 2011 5:11 pm

PaulB; Thanks for your words of wisdom. I will not make the same mistake again for sure.

I did install a used drive plate and now the bolts are tight on the clutch/brake bracket. The new owner told me the PO had work done on this machine before he sold it and the guy must have left the bolts loose on the bracket. He said the guy also rebuilt the engine too. I don't have x ray vision on the engine, i hope its done right. I did notice the cotter pin missing on the clutch rod too. There was a bent nail in the clutch lever swivel pin. I went thru the whole machine and did a complete visual check on everything.

One time my dad asked me to help a family member out and i installed a new engine in there 57 chevy(many years ago when i was a kid). For the job i got paid 11 garden fresh tomatoes. I didn't learn the lesson back then nor remember it.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun May 22, 2011 5:12 pm

CubitisNH wrote:Bill-No good deed goes unpunished!
Mike

Serves me right for helping out a new cub owner.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun May 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Paul B wrote:I will not work on someone elses equipment, just for reasons like you describe. If I know what the problem is, I will tell them how to fix it, but I will not do the work. I got burnt once (finding and installing an engine to get a "family" Original running), and have not touched someone elses equipment since.

When me and my son were into dirtbikes i did all my own boring and rebuilding the two stroke engines and trannies. I did help out all the neighbor hood kids too in repairing there bikes and engines too. I also welded a lot of there frames and exhausts too. I was even happy to go out of my way to help the kids when most of there parents could careless about them. I figured in helping them it was a good thing. Bill

Return to “Cub Cadet”