This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gasoline is starting to disappear.

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Gasoline is starting to disappear.

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:22 pm

Parked all my tractors late last fall with full tanks of gas. Went around monthly to start and operted all tractors. Today I went to start a WD (Allis) parked in the unlocked hay barn. Rapped on the gas tank and heard a hollow sound. Sure enough only about 1 inch of gasoline in the bottom of the tank. That's about $27.00. I even have a real good idea where the gasoline went.

I'm thinking. I'm thinking. Maybe it's time to forget to lock up all my gas cans. I have several filled with waste hydraulic oil.

Suggestions for any really nasty low down tricks will be appreciated

Eugene

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:46 pm

Use kerosen or diesel, they'll notice the hydralic oil.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:14 pm

Be sure to add a little gas so it will smell right.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:50 pm

Might wanna add a bottle of syrup or sugar also. That kinda helps Gum-up the works. :twisted:
Then came Bronson

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:06 pm

hope you don't forget where the good stuff is and the not so good stuff
Kevin
Kevin's 49er

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Missing gasoline

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:56 pm

I've been thinking about my problem. Rain water seems to get in anything left outside. And condensation is really bad this time of year, specially when the can contains only a gallon or two of gas.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:35 am

Most gas thief's won't take a gas can as they want to make sure of what they get.
Neighbor few years back put up 6 or so motion senor lights where his tractors were parked.
One was hooked up so when it tripped a tape recorder started playing very very loud gas, thief gas thief it stopped his gas lose.
By the way I mean loud it woke up people 1/4 mile a way.

On the dangerous side one farmer parked his tractor beside his electric fence & wired the tractor to it ( weed burner).
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Fuel Missing

Postby Eugene » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:43 pm

I'm leaving the gas tanks empty in the tractor and truck parked in the unlocked shed/hay barn. I really hate to do that. I could side the hay barn and install doors with locks. But, that's expensive and may not solve the problem.

I believe one of the neighborhood kids is taking the gasoline. I don't think they are smart enough or ambitious enough to not take a partially full can of gasoline sitting on the bed of the truck. We'll see.

Eugene

'60_Lo-Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby '60_Lo-Boy » Sun May 22, 2005 6:59 am

bleach.
Aaron.

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Sun May 22, 2005 11:52 am

johnbron wrote:Might wanna add a bottle of syrup or sugar also. That kinda helps Gum-up the works. :twisted:

That's my fix as well, just a gallon or so in an obviously easy can to "borrow" well laced with sugar does the trick
HOWEVER don't forget, and use it in your own cub or car by accident :oops: :oops:
Pat

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Mon May 23, 2005 7:22 am

Well I should tell you this little story. Probable 25 years ago I was missing
gas so I thought I would surprise them. I didn't want to heart them, so I took a 12-gage shell apart and loaded it
with course salt just to make some noise. Well the gas
stopped going and I forgot about the shell until one day the wife came home from hunting and sit her shells on the table. I still tease her about trying to corn the meat
on the run.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 23, 2005 9:39 am

Many years ago on the fram we had 2 tanks on stands, eahc one holding about 200 gallons. It was spring and we were going voer the machinery getting the haying equipment ready for summer, etc. when we discovered one of the tanks was empty. Thye had only been refilled aobut a month before, and that time of year our fuel consumption was pretty low, so we figured we had someon liberating gas. We had a pretty good idea of who, but didn't say anything. It was Spring break and I had a few days foo from college (late 60s), so I kind of napped around one Friday and that night since it was warm weather i left my window open a little. about 2am our dog started barking. I stepped to the front door and hit the switch which was connected to a spot light aimed at the gastanks about 50 yards away. I coulcn't see a peerson, but could see a galvanized gas can being carried down intot one of the gulleys in fornt of the house. I waited until they got well down into the gulley where they were reasonblay safe and put 3 rounds over their heas and into the rocky hillside across the spring branch. the sound of that old WW2 8MM mauser roaring, the round nose bullets flying through the dry oal leaves still on the trees, and then smacking into the rocks on the far hillsiide was quite impressive. Not only did we not lose anymore gas, but I think they brought some of it back. That was in 68, and you can still leave tools, etc. laying any palce on that farm you want and they won't be bothered.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Mon May 23, 2005 10:52 am

Ahhhh the good ole days John.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 23, 2005 11:36 am

Shame you didn't have tracers! That would have been even more impressive.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Off Topic”