This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Man basket for forklift

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
shiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61776
Tractors Owned: '47 F Cub
'53 H
'66 140

Man basket for forklift

Postby shiggy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Please dont make a comment such as "forklifts aren't made as a manlift" or anything like that, thank you.

We replaced our forklift at work in early 2010. Well, it came in as a HIGH mast forklift and the mast would hit the ceiling in the shop before a you would if you were standing in the old basket. We use the basket to change light bulbs in the shop, trim trees, anything else that may arise. To me it's pretty nice to have. Our old basket had a wooden floor and the forks would lift directly underneath the floor. Well, I had to raise that up about 4 1/2 feet off the forks for somebody to be able to use the basket inside to change light bulbs. Instead of building off the old basket, I got a wild hair and built a totally new one. I built this in April 2010. Yeah I know it's prolly overkill, but it's not going to fall apart and the wind isn't going to blow it over. :wink: Dates are not correct in the following pics.

Notice I made the door only open inwards, it will not open outwards.

Easy enough for a lock, it just slides into both tubes.

Nice added feature so it won't slip off the forks.

Now that's way up there.

thanks for looking
adam

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Man basket for forklift

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:01 am

Adam,

You can do some serious 'tree trimming' with that puppy. :) :)

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:32 am

shiggy wrote:Please dont make a comment such as "forklifts aren't made as a manlift" or anything like that, thank you.

adam

Adam - no comment, just clarification.
OSHA Regulations allow the use of a man-basket on a fork-lift truck as long as;
- the basket is properly designed and meets certain safety requirements.
- the basket is safety chained to the fork-lift truck to prevent the basket from falling off the forks. Royal Oaks Charcoal
- the worker in the basket has a safety harness and lanyard properly attached to the basket.
- the fork-lift truck is only used to raise and lower the worker. It is a willful violation if the fork-lift truck is used to move the worker in the basket from point 'A' to point 'B'.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:37 am

Adam:

That is one serious basket. I like it. Your basket is very well made. Enough safety devices in there as well. And I assume that there is provision/rules on wearing harnesses as well when someone is in the basket. I like the concept of interior opening only, Definitely a major safety feature.

My brother-in-law has 2 crane baskets (2 man versions) and they go up to 110 feet. He also has a pair of linesman buckets for the IH. He has made sure that I was a guinea pig on a number of occasions -- an of course we use the baskets to service my tower. I would have no fear being hoisted in that basket.

Forklifts are ideal man-lifts -- since most of the man-lifts have evolved from the fork-lift experience. The only time a fork-lift is not suited to elevating people is when it is not equipped with the proper basket.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

shiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61776
Tractors Owned: '47 F Cub
'53 H
'66 140

Postby shiggy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:04 am

The basket has never been that high. I was just showing how high the forks go. We do not take the forklift out of the yard. I do have tie offs built into the basket, if they don't use it, they will be at fault. I almost didn't post this because I've seen postings like this turn into bad things. Just thought I would share the build project.

Adam

Return to “Projects Forum”