This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Root Rake

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
shiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61776
Tractors Owned: '47 F Cub
'53 H
'66 140

Root Rake

Postby shiggy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Thought I'd share what I am building now at work. I am employed at a County Highwayd dept in Illinois. I do all of our welding/fabrication, including building our plow hitches etc. That is what I do all winter unless it snows, then I'm in a truck. Here's my latest, it's a root rake to be used on one of our backhoes. I thought this would be alot easier for our backhoe operators to clear brush with, other than a tooth bucket. They should be able to rip roots with it as well, time will tell I guess.

I cut the main teeth out of 1/2 x 9 x 32. Made a cardboard template to what I thought the curve should be, then started cuttin the 1/2 x 9 with the plasma gun. I used our 5 foot ditching bucket as a guide to make the curve in the teeth, that's it in the background.

The top beam is 1/2 x 3 x 5 tubing. Outside to outside on the teeth measures 5 foot with 8 inch between teeth. I used a gravel blade that we use on our graders for the cutting edges between the teeth. It's hard to tell in this picture, but there are two rows of them. I think this will rip those roots out of the ground.

All I have left to do is build the quick attach for the top of it, that'll be tomorrow's project.

Like I said, just thought I'd share some pics with everyone. The welding shop is starting to wind down this time of year, but I do have pictures of other projects I did this winter. If anybody is interested I could always post them.

Thanks for looking
adam

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: Root Rake

Postby beaconlight » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Adam looking good. Only question I have is does the backhoe have enough traction or will you have to pull it with a cat?
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:46 pm

Adam:

That is really interesting. I like to see stuff like that. It constantly amazes me what can come out of the fertile imagination/creative processes of some of our fabricators. I would be interested to see how it performs. A video of that would be tres cool 8)

I would like to see more of your projects (that is what this forum is for) and am interested in the quick connect. My brother in law is thinking about that for the Massey ...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

shiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
'53 H
'66 140

Postby shiggy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:01 pm

A video of this in action is a great idea. Let me see what I can do next week. :D

The quick connect is on the boom of the backhoe. This will take the place of a toothed bucket on the back. I built one of our backhoes a hydraulic thumb a few years ago, and using that with a toothed bucket is great. When clearing brush, trees, etc and loading that onto trucks you get lots of dirt when using a toothed bucket. So I came up with this idea, so our guys are able to grab lots without grabbing dirt. But I made it with the intentions that they should be able to rip roots otta the ground as well. They might even be able to clean debri otta good dirt, meaning if there's a bunch of concrete mixed in, which happens alot. I am curious to see how our guys put this to use.

thanks
adam

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:33 am

I missunderstood how you plan to us it. I thought it to be a drag. In place of a toothed bucket and a thumb you will be able to all kinds of good things. Just my old brain being slower and slower every day.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

shiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
'53 H
'66 140

Postby shiggy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:58 pm

I finished my project at work today. Here's a few pics.

Here's the top and back of the quick attach. I used 1 x 10 for the sides and they are 17 1/4 in length. Once again I made a cardboard template that would fit the quick attach and had to figure out how to attach it to the rake. I had to mark the holes for the pins and drill the 1 x 10 before cutting the design out. After going through alot of cardboard I designed one that did what I wanted to, so I busted out the plasma gun and free handed both sides. I wish now I grabbed a picture of the plates before welding them on, but I got too invloved. That happens sometimes. The front pin is 2 inch and the back pin is 1 3/4 inch. The back pin has 1 inch spacers on the inside of the plates. Here's a back view looking towards the tractor.

Notice the inch gussets I welded on the sides of the quick attach.

Here's a nice pic of the thumb I made back in March of 09. And that is not me in this picture, he does all my saw cutting for me.

All parts that I made for the quick attach were "V'ed" out with the plasma gun. When dealing with inch thick material, I always v the sides out for a deeper weld, after which I'll make 2-3 passes with the welder. I'll try and grab a pic or two next time I build something with inch think material that I "v" out.

If I am able to grab a video of this in action I'll post it here. Hopefully yet this week or next.
I'll try and post some pics tonight of our plow hitches that we build and also mount to our new trucks.

thanks for looking
adam

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:05 pm

Adam:

That is pretty cool 8) and I like it a lot. The thumb is pretty nifty too. Amazing how good some of the fabricators on this forum are - simply blow me away not just with the ideas but the craftsmanship as well. Amazing.

Now that ain't for no JCB/John Deer/Cat normal run of the mill little backhoe. That has got to be for what? a wheeled excavator? or a tracked one?

Curiosity.. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

shiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
'53 H
'66 140

Postby shiggy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Rudi

that's on a Cat 430 E backhoe, it's a 85 horse. The first pic of my last post you can see the outriggers through the rake. :D

thanks
adam

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Yup, see them now. Fairly nice back hoe .. see them a lot around here.

Return to “Projects Forum”