This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Missouri Weeds - Cedars

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Missouri Weeds - Cedars

Postby Eugene » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:27 am

Scrivet's plowing picture. Cedar in background. Common weed tree in Missouri.

Ozark fence line - property line. Typically the fence was originally installed using wooden posts. Cedars growing up in the fence line were left. Lower branches trimmed off. When original posts rotted off the wire was moved to the cedars.

The opening between the cedar fence and the next picture is a gate between my property and neighbors property.

Tree trunk laying on the ground was a corner post. After a 100 or so years the roots finally rotted off and it fell over. The tree truck was still solid and so heavy that I couldn't move it by myself. So, I cut the tree trunk up with a chain saw and will split into fire wood.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Re: Missouri Weeds - Cedars

Postby Stanton » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:12 pm

Eugene wrote:Image
Ozark fence line - property line. Typically the fence was originally installed using wooden posts. Cedars growing up in the fence line were left. Lower branches trimmed off. When original posts rotted off the wire was moved to the cedars.

Or, the cedars just grew around the wire... :lol:

Though not as plentiful in west central MO, still, Eastern Red Cedars are everywhere. I remember going with my grandfather out at Christmas time to cut down a cedar tree. We'd bring it in his house and decorate it (only had it up a few days). That was in NE MO (Lewis Co.).

Thanks for bringing back a memory.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:38 pm

Eastern red cedar are considered a nuisance tree in Oklahoma.
They removed a ton of them from the Canadian river bottom in far western Ok. and doubled the river flow. Those things suck up more water than one realizes and are invasive as weeds :shock:

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:20 pm

I can remember Scrivet and I cuttin lotsa cedars for dad to sell as fence post. In fact John Pucketts dad was a regular customer.We always tried cuttin em in winter "Cut them when saps down they last longer in the ground" was dads advice.Thinkin back sellin bunches of post near Christmas time mighta been why santa always did use good maybe. Come to think of it Scrivets still after them pesky cedars to this day lol Scrivet aka " cedar beaver"

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”