This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Couple of Litters of Piglets

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Couple of Litters of Piglets

Postby JoeB » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:49 pm

Had two litters last week, one on Friday and another on Saturday. Both sows had 11 a piece, and only lost two. So there is 20 little ones running around now. Pictures are when they were a day and two days old. The sows (both are named Lucy) are Tamworth and are sisters. The boar is a Large Black.

Litter (1)

Litter(2)

Rest of the gang, last years litter, and Homer boar on the right.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Couple of Litters of Piglets

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:13 pm

good looking pigs , good luck with em. Corn is going shy high here
boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Couple of Litters of Piglets

Postby JoeB » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks Boss. Corn prices got out of hand here last fall. I bought 1ton of corn early last summer, the price doubled by the fall, so I haven't fed corn since then. The corn always seems to come out looking just like it went in anyways. I have tried several other grains without any luck also.

I am currently feeding a 14% All Stock (soy hull pellets) at double the recommended rate, along with hay and pasture. The soy pellets went up 50% in price from fall to winter. I have a used 2 ton feed bin bought to be more prepared for the next winter. Soaking the pellets makes them more than double in size (10 lbs will fill a 5 gallon bucket soaked) and makes it more tasty to them.

I have been trying to find a pig supplement that ISN'T medicated to add to their diet. I haven't found a source without buying a whole skid of it yet though.

I am adding a small amount of cheap bulk yellow cornmeal and cooking oil to the sows diet to keep the calorie and fat intake high until they wean. I haven't tried this before, so its still experimental.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”