This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plinking

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Plinking

Postby Eugene » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:37 am

The photos I posted are of one of the commercially available targets. Guessing, it's 20 or more years old. Used to be bright red in color. Most of the paint has been shot off.

Only problem with it is that if a bullet hits the frame work or high on the individual target - impact will knock the target over. Even if the legs are stuck in the ground.

Yogie. Nice job.

We make plinking a family outing. Take along a bunch of different targets. The pictured target, tin cans and small cardboard boxes. Small cardboard boxes and tin cans work well for the kids. They like to see the targets - jump - move when hit.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Yogie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Eugene wrote:The photos I posted are of one of the commercially available targets. Guessing, it's 20 or more years old. Used to be bright red in color. Most of the paint has been shot off.

Only problem with it is that if a bullet hits the frame work or high on the individual target - impact will knock the target over. Even if the legs are stuck in the ground.

Yogie. Nice job.

We make plinking a family outing. Take along a bunch of different targets. The pictured target, tin cans and small cardboard boxes. Small cardboard boxes and tin cans work well for the kids. They like to see the targets - jump - move when hit.

Thanks Eugene, I've picked up several youth 22 single shots in the past few years so we're ready for some fun. The older boy and I used to make full size people targets out of cardboard and take them out to the farm for practicing with black powder revolvers. They're a little of a pain to clean up but a lot of fun shooting
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Ahh plinking at things! One of my favorite past times.

I've got a 1" thick, 8"dia steel disc hanging and supported by a really heavy chain which is in turn supported by heavy .5" angle iron buried deep in the ground. Trick is to have the angle iron point facing forward to deflect the bullet's energy to prevent the support from being damaged. Just make sure any ricochettes off the angle iron will go in a safe area. So far, the chain with all its radius's deflecting the bullet hasn't been damaged either.

Its basically indestructable with even the hottest .22 rim fire and hand gun ammo. When a .22 cal rim fire round hits that disc, it doesn't swing but instead explodes with a loud crack, IMO just as good as making it swing!
However, when i hit that disc with one of my 45-70 BP loads, it'll not only put a nice but shallow dent in it but also make it swing wildly.
Never tried firing hi-power center fire rounds at it though, thats what tin cans are for! lol
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand and take it easy - The Eagles

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”