This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Home Office

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

New Home Office

Postby Peter Person » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Been busy during my 3 weeks between jobs.
Any who attended Cecil's August Minifest and/or CubFest Northeast last year heard that our corporate office decided to shut down the Hartford Branch where I served as branch manager, asking that I stay on till the end of the year to wrap things up. I have been in the commercial glazing industry for 29 years with 4 different companies, with this most recent stint being 10 years. What I will miss the most is working on a daily basis with my best friend.
On Monday January 10th I start chapter 5 of my working life as a project manager for a former competitor of my previous employer. They are located in the southern part of the state, about 65 miles from home, so I will be working from home 4 days per week. I have to be at the office on Thursday mornings for a 7:00am staff meeting, but I think I can handle that. So far everything points to this being a real positive experience and I feel especially thankful for getting a job in my specialty without any loss in compensation and benefits. My wife is relieved that we did not suffer the fate of many folks relying on unemployment checks for what seems like an eternity. We are very blessed.
So with all this, I needed a place to park my shingle. My basement workshop was 12' x 24' and is now 12' x 12'. My new home office is 12' x 12'.
Before;
After;
Before;
After;

Still have to trim out the opening to the crawl space and hang a door from my office into the shop.
I will be mounting a hinged plan table (7' wide x 42") on the wall adjacent to the door into the shop. It will swing down and out of the way when I need access to the shop from this side. I have a 4' wide bi-fold into the shop on another wall.

This was my first time doing carpet - simple glue down of a Home Depot in-stock commercial style carpet. Came out pretty well if I do say so myself. Erik helped on this and other parts. Aron, Emily, Hannah, and even Anneliese helped out in the whole process. The girls gave me a late Christmas present of a 2011 Farmall Calendar for the wall.

Once the project is finished I'll post a few "occupied" photos.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: New Home Office

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Peter, Glad to hear the transition went so well. Your previous employer will regret letting you go to a competitor. And when you retire in 50 years, you can always knock out that wall and have the shop space back.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Peter,
I am VERY relieved to hear that you landed on your feet. I have worked from home for many years and a dedicated office is the way to go. Best of luck!

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Good to here you seem to have things under control. The couple times I met you, I could tell you have a good head on your shoulders, so you'll do just fine. Nice job on your office.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:58 pm

Well Done. The office and the job both. It is a good learning experience for the kids too. My Dad had us do stuff with him. I benefit from it today.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:32 pm

Peter,

Great job on the office. Better yet, working from home.

Bill
Last edited by Bill Hudson on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Peter...I am glad everything worked out so well for you.
After our conversations at Cecil's in October, I thought about you every time I would see a glazing project going on here.
I am sure you will excel at your new position. :D
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:51 pm

Nice office. When I worked from my house I felt the same way and built a small office. You need that kind of discipline to be successful working from home.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:54 pm

Dave,
Funny how that works - whenever traveling, I'm always looking at the glass work on buildings too.
Here's a link to Cherry Hill Glass Company, my new employer.

Bill,
Working from home will be a new experience for the whole family. The girls are pretty excited - they will learn when and when not to come into my office. Donna is hoping the adjustment for both of us will not be difficult.

Bill,
I explained to the kids that everything we did was based on what I learned from my father, so even though they never got to know him, they can have an appreciation for learning from me.

Rick, Bob, & Bob - Thanks for the comments - though if I don't retire for 50 years, I'll be 101 when I do. :shock:

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:26 pm

Peter Person nice carpentry job, looks right comfy. I'm very happy that the people in your industry saw your value and kept you in the ranks.
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:36 pm

Peter - I'll echo everyone else's sentiments and say congratulations on the new job and I'm glad things worked out so well for you!
The office looks great!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 am

Peter, congratulations on both counts. :{_}:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:45 am

COngrats on landing the job so quickly, and transitioning so nicely. So many find that difficult. I cant see the pictures here from work. but i am sure they are great.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:46 am

Peter:

Gotta say Image to what the guys have said :!: Very nice job. Glad that you landed on your feet ... this has been a very challenging economy in the last couple of years. Having the kids involved in the process is a real plus. You and Donna have been very fortunate in the time you get to spend with your children... really fortunate. I cherish the memories of my kids and I working together as well as my Dad and I. Passing down our parents work ethics/skills/attitudes are really important especially when our kids may not be blessed with the presence of a grandparent.

When I had my business I wasn't that fortunate. Had to do all the take-offs on the kitchen table :big say what: A dedicated office sure would have been useful. Congrats :applause:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:52 am

Peter, I am glad things are working out for you, many have not had your success during the current financial problems. If you have not done so, I suggest talking to a cpa or other tax guy about how to figure your home office for taxes. It is a lot different than it was a few years ago as to what is and is not allowed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Projects Forum”