This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Food plot for deer

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44333
Tractors Owned: Farmall cub 56-Spartacus
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub L-F1 Platform Carrier
Cub 54 Leveling Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Food plot for deer

Postby Pabst » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:43 pm

I would like to plant some food plots next year and was wondering if a cub would be able to pull an International 510 grain drill & seeder with 16" holes and 7" spacing no hyraulics. I saw one for sale just wondering or do you have any other recommendations, thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Re: Food plot for deer

Postby OliverFarmall » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:14 pm

If there are no hydraulics I don't see why not. The 510 is 10ft wide ?
Grain drill/seeder seem like overkill for a deer plot, why not just broadcast seed and cultipack or harrow ?
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

BigMatt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46163
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Moe"
1950 Farmall M
1978 IH 184

Postby BigMatt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:38 pm

Do it. You know you want that drill!

Really, I have no experience with it, but if you get it, we can all learn if it will pull it!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:09 pm

Couple weeks ago I purchased a 12 volt ATV type seeder for spreading lime, fertilizer and seed on a food plot. I mounted the seeder to a 3-point universal frame. 4 bolts to mount and dismount.

Weighs 19 pounds. Sits on the shelf in the garage when not in use. Total out of pocket cost, just under $180-.

Check with your local conservation, soil conservation district, dept of ag offices. They frequently have equipment to loan out (no cost or very low cost) for conservation related activities.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Postby Lee_Petrie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:47 pm

Sounds like a GREAT idea, feeding the deers ,but in some states ( I know for a fact Illinois) it is illegal to feed those harmless animals ! In fact just a group feed in one area can transmit a BAD disease from animal to another , one person was doing that down by Peoria , IL. not too long age, the state conservation officer fined him! On top of that issue, I was in a nursing home for recovery of my broken ankle ,and a man accross the hall was gorded in the leg (several inches into his leg in two places),because of a male deer that was in the "rutting ? season " and he didn't even feed the deer !
Just a word of advice, to who it may concern, Lee

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:58 pm

State laws vary. Best to check. There is a difference between food plots and baiting.

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jacks ... s/6089.pdf

Food plots are a way the sportsman or nature enthusiast can provide nutrients for deer.
Currently, Illinois game law prohibits any other means of feeding whitetail deer. To clarify, salt
blocks, mineral blocks, feeding stations, lick pops, and all other like sources are illegal within the
state all year long. The change in this law came after the discovery of chronic wasting disease, a
disease which is spread by saliva of infected deer. Because of the potential to spread this
disease all attractants except food plots were banned.

Edit. Missouri provides advise, equipment and some times financial help to establish wild life habitat including food plots.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:35 am

Eugene & OliverFarmall thanks for the helpful information for planting a deer plot. I will now look for a broadcast spreader. :D

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:42 am

Pabst,

How large are your food plots going to be?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:19 pm

Don, I have a 1 acre plot .

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:27 pm

Pabst wrote:Don, I have a 1 acre plot .

I agree on the broadcast spreader. They can be had pretty reasonably. Try Tractor Supply or similar store. We do multiple quarter acre plots and use a shoulder mounted, manual broadcast spreader.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:35 pm

Don McCombs wrote:We do multiple quarter acre plots and use a shoulder mounted, manual broadcast spreader.
I have both the hand operated and manual/push type spreaders. They work well on small plots. The push type seeder/spreader gets to be a work out on 1/2 acre plots. Specially if the ground is not smooth.

My pending food plot is just over an acre. Ground will be rough, to rough for the push trype spreader, since this will be the first time it has been worked in many years.

The universal carrier is mounted on a WD Allis Chalmers. I mounted the spreader near the top of the carrier. This leaves enough room on the platform, below the spreader, for 3 each 100 lb bags of lime or fertilizer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:39 am

This is the type speader that we use for the seed. Because the alfalfa and clover seeds are so small, a larger spreader would not be as controllable. Not bad for up to quarter acre sized plots, but I don't think I'd like doing a full acre with it. We use a three point broadcast spreader for pelletized lime and fertilizer. The ground is prepped with a three point tiller and the seed is rolled in as a final step. The setup works great.

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:11 pm

Soil test. I did a soil test on my pending food plot. I need 795 lbs of lime (effective neutralizing material) and around/over 200 lbs of fertilizer per acre. Gonna be well over 1000 lbs of material by the time I get the required amount of lime and specific fertilizer requirements.

The soil test results were the deciding factor on buying the ATV 12 volt powered spreader.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:17 pm

We did about 3 50X100 food plots and the Cub plowed and the Oliver disced. Only thing we used was a push type broadcast spreader and they came up beautifully! Nice and even!

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:27 am

You definitely need to test the soil to see what it needs :!: If the PH is way off it won't grow well and the plants can't use any fertilizer you put on.

There are two main types of plots warm and cool weather plots. Each provides deer forage for different times of the year. Rather than planting a field in just one type of feed its best to plant stuff in strips at different times of the year and rotate them over the years.

Read this for a good overview on different feed requirements deer need over the year.

http://www.whitetailstewards.com/articl ... ticles.htm

Rye vs Wheat and Oats. Rye stays green longer and starts growing soonest in the spring and will grow good in a wider range of PH levels. It also puts nitrogen back into the soil for other plants where as wheat, oats use it up.

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25851

Brassicas. High energy forage for deer going into winter.

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/ ... f=24&t=566

Drilling vs broadcasting seed.

Last year I broadcast my fields. But if I can get a small seed drill that my uncle gave me working I will use that next year. The problems with broad casting One you don't have any control of how deep the seed is planted Two you have to use more seed as some sits on top of the ground and gets cooked and some gets buried to deep to germinate. Three its hard to adjust it for proper seed per acre with a broadcaster. On the other hand its a lot easier to clean out and store.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”