This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Apple Pie, Chevrolet and the USA

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ike » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:10 pm

ljw wrote: Instead of teaching kids in the school about our history and current events, teachers seem to be OK with allowing kids to be of the opinion that Sept. 11th was the fault of the people in the Trade Center!
Larry

ljw,
That seems to be a pretty general statement. :shock: Would that be one teacher, some teachers, or all teachers?

Ike
Last edited by Ike on Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:04 pm

Ike, A while back I was in a position to read reports written by high school students explaining how the Sept. tragedy affected them. And too many reflected the same opinion that I stated earlier. Which I really don't think they meant. But I feel that their remarks went unchallenged and the teacher should have discussed this with the students and I don't think this happened. I certainly didn't mean to criticize teachers in general. I feel that it is an honorable profession that is grossly underpaid. But I am amazed with the number of young people that are ignorant of the basic subjects that were drilled into me when I was in school. To sum it up, I feel that we need to be competitive in the world market and we must be mentally and physically fit to achieve that. We need to do the best we can with what we have. Those were my intentions.
Larry

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:33 am

ljw wrote:Ike, A while back I was in a position to read reports written by high school students explaining how the Sept. tragedy affected them. And too many reflected the same opinion that I stated earlier. Which I really don't think they meant. But I feel that their remarks went unchallenged and the teacher should have discussed this with the students and I don't think this happened. I certainly didn't mean to criticize teachers in general. I feel that it is an honorable profession that is grossly underpaid. But I am amazed with the number of young people that are ignorant of the basic subjects that were drilled into me when I was in school. To sum it up, I feel that we need to be competitive in the world market and we must be mentally and physically fit to achieve that. We need to do the best we can with what we have. Those were my intentions.
Larry

Larry,
I appreciate the clarification. I agree that there are some teachers doing less than they should and they should be held accountable. It just seemed to me that the part of the post I responded to was a blanket indictment of all teachers and that if I did not question it, then I was agreeing with it. :)

Ike

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:37 am

Ike,
I understand where you're coming from. I read this forum for pure enjoyment and I would never intentionally criticize a person or profession in a mean spirited way. I was going to elaborate further, but as the boss often tells me, "Why don't you keep your big mouth shut?"
Larry

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:39 pm

Larry,
No problem!

Ike

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:34 am

The Company I work for purchased a Ford franchise and I opened a hood of a Ford built vehicle and found this: Image

But, before you say one for our side follow this link. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Jackf/MVC-460F.jpg
This is a premium audio speaker for a 05, Ford Taurus.

If the cheaper labor rate of China is true, then why is it the prices on these new vehicles going up and up and up, where as other items made in China, shipped to and sold in the US going down, way down?

Manufacturing says the reason for increase of product cost is mostly from wages. (Total wages) Automobile manufactures say if they only made/installed all high cost parts on their product the cost of that vehicle would be prohibited to most people. Manufactures say “when installing parts or building vehicles from areas around the world with cheaper labor drives down total cost of that vehicle”. I’m sure supply and demand has something to do with that and that’s why somebody is always trying to build a better mouse trap. If I had money invested in a company I would be constantly watching the board of directors to keep everything in check, including their salaries or else I would sell my investment in that company.

On the other hand being an hourly worker, when I want a wage increase I think in a different frame of mine. I don’t really care about the global economy my employer has to compete against.

I wish I could find out what the exact costs of products were before it went to the consumer so; I could make my decision if I really needed that product. Is that fair to the business person?

My father owned a construction business for many years. After seeing what he went through to make a profit it still bewilders me how he still has his sanity. If it wasn’t the Union representatives making sure everything was in its place, it was OSHA checking his equipment. It seemed it was very hard on the small businessman to survive. After a family construction business that survived for over 50 years with employing sometimes up to 60 employees my father down sized to himself and one other employee before he retired. His profit margin went way up and he did not have the worries as before.

My neighbor is an owner of a construction business that employees 35 employees. The stories he tells me, one can only wonder how a small business owner of today can survive.

This is an article that has something to do with this.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Industry/Driving_Forces/Asian_Flu.S192.A1626.html

We all have to realize that it is a global economy now more than ever. Things are are changing and will not stop changing. Like it or not, we must keep up with the changes or stagnate. I remember the "good ol days" because I had the privledge to grow up in the 50's and 60's.

This is true; we are going to have to realize this. The 50’s and 60’s are gone.

Instead of teaching kids not to pet strange dogs, the dogs must be dealt with. Instead of teaching kids in the school about our history and current events.......

A good teacher is not (in my opinion) paid nearly enough, but (in my opinion) a good teacher will teach a subject with an objective point of view.

DARN and Toyota was in the running to be my next vehicle.

Good vehicles, I never had one but Technicians I work with that worked for Toyota dealerships say they are built very well.

I have owned G.M. for the past 23 years and I have bought my LAST G.M. car, truck, van or anything made by G.M. I am really displeased with their quality

As far as the quality of America / Canadian made vehicles; I personally owned three that I can really brag about, that I drove many miles with only excepted repairs. One Chevrolet 2500 pickup for 350,000 miles and two Dodges for 500,000 miles. I’m presently driving a Ford F-150 with only 80,000 mile on the odometer. With only 80,000 miles on it, in my opinion it has not proven it self out yet. I do have a couple of things to say about the Ford ; it has not given me any trouble yet, it has a lot of power and gets good fuel mileage for its size. I bought all the trucks used with approximately 40,000-50,000 on the odometer.

Jack Fowler

Return to “Off Topic”