This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New from Grand River, Ohio (east of Cleveland)

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44045
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Sophie)
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

New from Grand River, Ohio (east of Cleveland)

Postby Groove Critter » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Hello All!! I have been following this forum and learning a ton from it since I started working on Sophie (48 cub).

I must offer my sincere thanks to all of you on here. I am not sure where I would be on Sophie right now without you. You folks are Awesome! I really love these cubs too.

I use to watch the older gentleman next door to me use his old cub over the years. It just looked like so much fun. Now, I can't wait to help old Sophie back to the Fields once she is ready (after a good 10 years of napping).

I changed all the fluids (including draining that cappuccino looking stuff) , cleaned the air intake, changed the filter, cleaned the fuel bowl and put in a new cork gasket, added seafoam, changed the plugs, greased the fittings, rebuilt the carburetor, changed the manifold (had a leak), nice 1 1/4" black pipe stack cut to just clear the garage door), performed Mr. Willer's clever front end alignment method.

Now I am in the process of rebuilding the governor. Touch control may need rebuild since I keep loosing function; works for a little while after adding heavy duty tractor hydraulic fluid. I wonder if I should rebuild the pump or the touch control; pump kit is cheaper.

She also has the PTO stuck engaged, the lever must have a worn pin (I sure hope it wasn't welded engaged??)

Sorry for the long introduction. If you finish reading this post and leave with anything -know how thankful I am for all those who help out on here. I am willing to bet for every one or two that joins there are probably about10 or 20 that benefit from this site if not many more!

Sincere thanks,
Groove Critter
(ok, funny name but at least it ain't boring)
Last edited by Groove Critter on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The glass is half full
the upper portion is wasted material
the content is delicious, cold and refreshing!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New from Grand River, Ohio (east of Cleveland)

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Groove,

Welcome aboard.

I would suggest that the Touch Control is probably in need of a rebuild. It is not hard, unless you take it apart and let it set for a couple of weeks before reassembly. Don't ask. :oops: :oops: I've rebuilt a couple and I'm more than willing to help, if you need it. We might even want to meet at Pickle Bill's for a microfest to introduce ourselves. I'm just a stone's throw away in Madison.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the welcome. It is great to know there is a fellow cub member close by; and an experienced one at that. I appreciate your kindness and willingness to help; I look foreword to when I will be more knowledgeable on the cubs and can pay it foreword as well.

Pickle Bill's or Brennan's, good food either way; bet there are some good places out in Madison too? I look foreword to meeting you too.

Should I totally rebuild the touch control or is there a typical culprit (seal) that is a common problem?
The glass is half full

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:39 pm

Groove Critter, Welcome to the Forum. A lot of Cub lovers here as you've already noticed. If the level on your oil dipstick is rising, it means the pump o-ring is leaking hydraulic fluid into the oil pan. That situation might justify only a pump rebuild. However, once you've drained the fluid to do that, you might as well do the block and know that it's in good shape too.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the tip. Perhaps that is why I am getting a small leak at the clutch plate as well? At least I can buy a little time on the touch control rebuild if the pump rebuild does the trick. Since she is down right now and I will have to wait for the Case shoulder hub (governor part) to arrive, I guess the pump rebuild can be done quickly?

Thanks again for the warm welcome. Gotta love these cubs!
The glass is half full

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:11 pm

I would bet that the leak at the clutch is the rear main seal. If it turns out you need to replace it, you'll need to send your seal retainer to one of the Forum members (Phil Lenke) who bores them out for an over size seal. The OEM does not fit tightly unless you also buy an expensive new seal retainer. Also, here is a very good "How to" for the pump rebuild: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44196 Hope that helps.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:17 am

Groove,

Let's make it happen. Sending you a PM with my contact information.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:26 pm

Groove Critter:

Welcome and you certainly have got some great advice already. I guess you probably know your way around a bit, but..

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

Glad you got Sophie providing some quality seat time... as well as some quality time in the shop. In case you are not aware... Image we are addicted to them.. Post some pics of Sophie in the main forum :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:45 am

Thanks all for the warm welcome and additional advice. I can easily see just how addicting these beautiful machines are now that I have one too.

I will post more pics of sophie when she has finished her governor nap. I also look foreword to making it to one of the cubfests some time.

Sincere thanks to all again,
Groove Critter
The glass is half full

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:06 pm

Groove Critter wrote:... I also look foreword to making it to one of the cubfests some time.

Sincere thanks to all again,
Groove Critter

Dave,

Several of us will be leaving from Madison to go to Cubfest Northeast in Kinderhook, NY, October 8-10. Lots of good folks will be there, all the way from Colorado to New Brunswick, Canada and points south. You are welcome and encouraged to join in the fun. I left you a voice mail this afternoon. Lets talk about this over lunch.

Bill

PS - - I don't mean to exclude others in northeast Ohio from joining the fun. Think about it and join us. As an added bonus - - normally beautiful fall colors in NY at this time of year.
Bill

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:11 pm

Groove Critter,

Welcome to the forum.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Return to “Introduce Yourself”