This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Garden Help

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:21 pm

Thanks Larry mine is rocky clay. I know they put Gypsum on clay soils and the old garden had probably 700 lbs of sheet rock scrap on it during the last 20 years. What ever scraps I develop when I rock the house will go on the new garden, but I don't expect to do that till next year.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:02 pm

With your rocky soil, weighing down the equipment should be easy for you.

Along with the other adjustments, put a couple pounds extra air in the right rear tire.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:37 am

Hi Bill

I don't know how I got there but Rudi has a series of pictures of him plowing with ellie-mae that were very good. I think I did a search on this site on plows and found a link to it. Also do the search on plows and their are quite a few pictures of peaple plowing. Sometimes its good to see how somthing is set up. When I was a kid I used to plow with a 8n ford and it allways pushed to the right looking at the 189 manuel I think I had set the colter too far to the left and it didn't let the plow sit aginst edge of the cut to hold it from pushing over that was 20 some years ago amazing that I just figured it out. Plowing is a art keep with it you'll get it. Learn somthing new every day and have fun. :!:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:50 am

Thanks Jim and Billy. I'll get right yet with all the help Here.
I chuckle when I see you sign billy. I am 72 years old and I am still Billy to the family. My Grand father was Will, my father is william, I am Billy, my son at 42 is little Billy and he blew every ones mind when he named his son william. To me they both are Bill. To my wife we are all three Bill and when she calls only the one she intended answers. How ever she makes it different we can tell.

Bill Sorensen
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:29 am

8) Hey Bill I'm William T Patrick II dad's William T Patrick. At 39 now as a kid I allways wanted to be called Bill now I like Billy. It sounds like you are 72 years young. Last month me and Vern C. were talking about kids, teaching and finding a fulfilling job not work. Last friday I went to a girlscout meeting with my sister and helped setup a play area for the little kids. I find being around kids and seeing the world the way they do keeps me young. Its a beautifull world as long as we take the time to enjoy it :!:
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:52 am

Cowboy I know what you mean. Kids are great. Got 9 grand kids to prove it.

bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:56 pm

:roll: OOps I was just checking out the weather photos on weather underground and thought I would share this by line from a photo poster

About the Photographer: Define drama? Mother Earth!!! Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Billy 8)

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:40 pm

Here is Dan doing it right.
Young man for work, old man for advice

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:06 am

:shock: Wow I like how that center plow is mounted. What type plow is it :?: Can I set up the right plow of my 189 plow like that :idea: I think that would be great to watch the plow and see where I was going. :{_}:

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:26 am

Ok I can see a lot of grass here too. I guess I was expecting too much. I had about the same but with a lot of rocks many of which are as soft and brittle as shale. It makes sence what BD says about dragging it with a timber to break that up. Would an 8 or 10 foot piece of I beam be any better? I also see the need for plenty of weight on the disc.
If the plow were set to take less of a bite each time would it turn the sod under better?
I will roundup it first but how long between that and plowing? I'll look on the container and get that won't I.
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:19 am

That is a disc plow. Cowboy your moldboard plow cannot mount this way. It is dependent on the right side wheels running in the furrow to work properly.
Personal opinion - the disc plow does not turn the soil as evenly as a properly set moldboard. Especially in sod. Others may disagree but I have yet to see a disc plow do a better job of turning sod than a moldboard plow.

The better you turn the sod, the easier the rest of the job becomes.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

New Garden Plot

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:05 am

I am working up a new garden plot this spring. Rocky clay Missouri soil that hasn't been worked in years. I sprayed with Roundup about 2 weeks ago then added fertilizer. I emptied sand tubes (tube type weights for vehicles) over the plot. I then spread very old hay (free) over the plot. Then plowed, waited several days then disk. Soil was dry, turned over nicely.

I'm thinking it may take one more year to get the garden soil in to very good condition and to kill off most of the weeds (fescue).

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:12 am

Ok thanks Big Dog. Oh well I got to dream about it for a while.

Bill here are a few links from my plow search with some good pictures :!:

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ight=plows very good

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ight=plows good

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... light=plow this one has the link to Rudi's plowing pictures

Eugine my great uncles did somthing called summer falling they plowed up the field and weeds started growing and before they would seed they would disk it or drag harrow it to kill them off of corse you cannot use the field that year

Billy

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:43 pm

Thanks Billy. Those pictures show clearly what was described in pictures what the other guys said in words. Looks as if roundup for a couple of weeks from one of the postings. That means I have to get up there soon.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Joe Shaffer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joe Shaffer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:11 pm

A wing on the plow is useful. I plowed sod throwing it uphill and 1/2 of it rolled back. The wing is useful to prevent this and to turn the furrow better. Had improved results after adding the wing to the moldboard plow. Joe.

Return to “Off Topic”