This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie from New York

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
arkville
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12455

Newbie from New York

Postby arkville » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:36 am

Hi from New York. I joined the forum to help my son with his restoration of his very first Cub purchase. We believe the tractor to be a 1950 Cub Demonstrator. The serial number as best we can see right now is 99577. The plate is worn and we are trying to come up with a way to bring the numbers out so they are more legible without causing any more damage to the plate. Also upon further inspection under the hood and several other areas we can see white paint.

I know we have a lot of research to do and hope the group can help us along the way. We don't want to rush and make mistakes, so will probably be asking a lot of questions. He has purchased a book "Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet" by Ken Updike as a starting point.

This first question is very pre-mature, but if we prove that this is a Demo Cub, should it be painted white or red as the dealers were supposed do?

Want to Thank all members in advance for your help and patience with our questions.
Arkville

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: Newbie from New York

Postby beaconlight » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:43 am

HEY Glad to have you with us.
I have a place in Franklin which is a bit west of you. As far as color goes it is your tractor, your choice. Many today like the white on their demonstrators, yet many others use red. If you have no nearer dealer Catskill Tractor in Franklin is a Case IH dealer and have many Cub parts in stock. Of coursae being right around the corner as it were I just go there. They do have an Internet site too.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Peter Person » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 am

Arkville,
Welcome to the forum.
Plenty of help here for you and your son.

August 21st there is a one day MiniFest at Cecil's in Valatie, NY about 50 miles East NE of you.
Also, Columbus Day weekend - October 8th - 10th same place - three (3) days of fun!

Columbia Tractor in Claverack, NY is a Case/IH dealer.

TM Tractor and Ralph's Cubs (both site sponsors) have most parts that you need.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:23 am

Arkville,

Welcome to the forum! Your son if fortunate to start out with a Demo and have a willing father to assist! There is tons of information available here; the "search" function will lead to many answers, if not post a question. I highly recommend the site sponsors for parts, both new and used; you will see you can't go wrong with any of them.

As far as the color, as already noted, that is really a matter of personal preference. BUT, if it can be documented as a demo (i.e. white under hood, etc.) I would have to go White if it were mine. Not that I am a Demo fan (sorry Doc) but more in the interest of putting it back to original state.

Best of luck and keep us posted and a few pictures are always encouraged.. :D,
David

arkville
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby arkville » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks for the welcome folks. I haven't seen the tractor yet. He just got it last Thursday and I haven't been up to Middleburgh to see it yet. I will be going to see it this week and will take some pictures to post. Will advise him of the upcoming shows as well. I hope he has found a demo and he enjoys the task he is about to begin. Will post the pics soon.
Roger

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:57 pm

Roger:

Congrats to your son on acquiring his very first Cub. Notice I said first -- bet he won't be able to stop at one and maybe Dad won't be able to either :lol: Cubs are a lot of fun and rather addictive. Not only that, but the folks around Cubs are really great people and are a significant part of why Cubs are so darned addictive.. :D

Do follow the links below. There is a really large amount of information available here via the forums on these critters.. unlike any other tractor group around. Hope you enjoy the read --

Image to the Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

oh yeah,... and Image
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnny j
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20711
Tractors Owned: 1948 FARMALL CUB #34846

Postby johnny j » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:24 pm

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :)

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:13 pm

Welcome, Arkville, to a great forum with fantastic people and more info than you can possibly imagine. Enjoy. :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Arkville, Welcome to the forum. You might take a thin sheet of paper and a lead pencil and go over the serial number and transfer to the paper.
Check the casting codes also. At bottom of page click on TM tractors and then go to how to identify my cub.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

arkville
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby arkville » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:40 pm

dgrapes59 wrote:Arkville,

Welcome to the forum! Your son if fortunate to start out with a Demo and have a willing father to assist! There is tons of information available here; the "search" function will lead to many answers, if not post a question. I highly recommend the site sponsors for parts, both new and used; you will see you can't go wrong with any of them.

As far as the color, as already noted, that is really a matter of personal preference. BUT, if it can be documented as a demo (i.e. white under hood, etc.) I would have to go White if it were mine. Not that I am a Demo fan (sorry Doc) but more in the interest of putting it back to original state.

Got some pictures today, but haven't figured out how to post them here yet.
Signed up for the PhotoHost and when approved will try that.
From what I saw today the tractor is quite probably a demo cub. There is significant white showing on many parts and under the hood. The serial number is correct as 99577. It runs like a charm. Matt, my son, has it torn apart and is fixing all the leaks and checking things out.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Roger:

Your photohost account is now active... so you can start uploading pics :D

The links below which are taken from the CBoK - On The Forums chapter should help you post em:

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Arkville this comming weekend there is a tractor show in Sharon Springs. I don't know how far that is from you. Pris and I will be there on Saturday. From past experience this is a good show with lots of tractors.

arkville
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby arkville » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:03 am

Thanks Cecil. My son is planning on attending, but I can't make it. I looked over the tractor yesterday and all indications show it is most likely a demo. The serial number 99577 is correct according to the serial number list. Under the hood and on several parts there is evidence of plenty of white paint. He hasn't decided which color to paint it yet. I sort of think he should stick with the red myself, but that is his decision. He has things all torn apart and changing fluids and replacing leaky gaskets. Having a ball with it.

arkville
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby arkville » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:58 am

arkville wrote:
dgrapes59 wrote:Arkville,

Got some pictures today, but haven't figured out how to post them here yet.
Signed up for the PhotoHost and when approved will try that.
From what I saw today the tractor is quite probably a demo cub. There is significant white showing on many parts and under the hood. The serial number is correct as 99577. It runs like a charm. Matt, my son, has it torn apart and is fixing all the leaks and checking things out.

I managed to figure out how to get pictures on the Photohost. I posted 29 pictures of the tractor and parts. Also original manuals and implements that came with it. Still got to work with the photohost and figure out how to get all the pictures under one album. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:41 pm

Here is an idea. Strip it down and paint it white. Then paint it red. You would have one of the most "correct" Demo's out there.

Second thought, Just use a white primer then paint it red. :mrgreen: :big afro:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”