This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Garden creeper

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Mike's 49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46970
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub 1940 H

Garden creeper

Postby Mike's 49 Cub » Sat May 08, 2010 10:33 pm

Sonny this question is for you. I don't know if I'm dreaming or not but I think I recall seeing and reading about a garden creeper that you built with bicycle wheels and you laid down on it to weed your garden ? Am I'm mistaken ? I have a friend who has some serious back problems and cannot bend down for long at all and I told him about what I thought I remembered seeing . By his expression I could tell he was thinking this might be something that he could use. If it is what you designed would you mind sharing a picture of it again ? I would like to build one for him as a surprise. Yes I would be looking at it for design inspiration but not full blown copy. Thanks, Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Garden creeper

Postby Mr E » Sun May 09, 2010 7:56 am

Mike,
I am sure Sonny will be along with the details later. But I was able to find some of his old posts which might be helpful.

Click the link below to go to the thread this picture came from.
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=48209&p=400562&hilit=+creeper#p400562

Hope this helps until Sonny comes by. :D

Roy
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Mike's 49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46970
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub 1940 H

Postby Mike's 49 Cub » Sun May 09, 2010 11:15 am

Thanks Roy, was hoping I wasn't dreaming. Now to hit the garage sales and junkyards for some old bikes. Mike

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun May 09, 2010 11:56 pm

If you can find a couple bikes close to being the same kind it is easier to put them together!---mine were different makes and were a lot harder to match up the cross irons but it can still be done and will work fine!----the bikes do however need to be same size tires,---26"---24"--etc.---taller skinny tires work better too. they dont make much track and roll better in soft loose ground than the smaller fat type.---At least that is what I found out with mine.
the cross irons that I used were light weight 1" angle irons welded to the bike frames(careful when welding on bike frames, they not very thick so use low heat setting on welder) and the inch thick(can be any width and length) bedboard bolted to them.---I set the board at a comfy height before I welded everything up and this one is not height adjustable, so you might want to measure up the guys arms to see what height would be right, OR another way is to sit flat on your fanny and feet flat on the ground,---that would be the correct height to work either sitting or laying down on it!---the steering bar is just a light piece of inch wide 1/8" flat iron!
The propel drive is a handle mounted thru a deere planter box drive sprocket then chain over the biggest sprocket on the bike (10 speed) , You dont turn it in complete revolutions, but ratchet it back and forth to help move and push a little with your feet and the combo. will move you a little at the time.
There is also a video of it on U-Tube planting strawberry plants too!---you can see it in action!---might give you more ideas to follow up on!---feel free to use the design bolt for bolt if you want to!---it has been a lifesaver for me and would not be able to garden at all without mine!
If you need more info or help,---let me know and I will help whatever I can! thanks; sonny

chiggerfarmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76638
Skype Name: chiggerfarmer
Tractors Owned: 1964 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall C
1937 Farmall F12

Postby chiggerfarmer » Sun May 30, 2010 7:20 am

Thanks Sonny, for the great information on your garden creeper. I have been thinking of building something like this for several years now. I have trouble bending for the low jobs also. I would like to view the videos if they are still on You Tube, but had no luck finding them. What name did you give them? Thanks, Tom :D
If you cannot dazzle others with your brilliance, baffle them with bullcorn

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun May 30, 2010 8:46 am

This should be the link to all my U-tube videos. (25 total, so far). Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/user/SONNYREESE?blend=2&ob=1

thanks;sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”