This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH running gear with dump

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

IH running gear with dump

Postby cowboy » Mon May 10, 2010 7:42 am

I was at a auction a few weeks ago and got a IH running gear. It has a hyd dump bed on it. I have never seen one before. Anyone know anything about them? I got it for $150 with a bad deck and two blow out front tires. And I found something to check when I buy another one. Make sure it steers! The front spindles were seized up and it would not turn. Which is probably why the front tires blew out. We broke one spindle housing taking it apart. And since its NLA my younger brother welded it up for me.

The trailer is going to be sharp when its done. I got lucky and have four tires on aluminum rims that fit right on. That came off of my old F150.

The cylinder is leaking bad and needs to be rebuilt.

I did get it to dump and was surprised at how high it lifted the deck. Its going to be really handy around the farm hauling brush and firewood.

Rather than having the front and back tied together with a single pipe it has two frame rails like a truck frame.

All in all its a neat toy. And I can't wait to get it all done up.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: IH running gear with dump

Postby Rick Prentice » Mon May 10, 2010 7:51 am

Great find Billy. When are you and your dad getting a sawmill :D :D

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Mon May 10, 2010 8:33 am

Howdy Rick

Actually Dad already has a woodmizer LT40. I just need to learn how to use it! When I get the floor done in the new pole barn I am going to go get it from my uncles. Let me know when you want to go up and saw some lumber :{_}: Bring a trailer and we will get you a load :||): Want a new cedar deck I got alot down that needs to be cut up :!:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:52 am

Nice find Billy!

I keep tellin' ya you are destin to be on the "Ax Men" show!

Keep us posted on the progress,
David

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Mon May 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks David

When I got out of HS in 1984 thats what I wanted to do :!: But I did not find anyone to hire on with. But I love being and working in the woods. I wish I was closer to Rudi. So he could teach me how to work with wood. I would love to know how to build cabinets and furniture. I like old world and early american furniture and it would be great to build my own to what I want and make it look the way I think it should. I can't stand all this pressboard junk that has no style at all.

Billy

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue May 11, 2010 7:33 am

Nice find!!! A dump bed is diffent.I like it.Hope to find some running gear my self someday!!! That should keep ya busy for a while!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Tue May 11, 2010 8:10 am

Thanks Kevin

Fix the cylinder clean it up paint it re pack the wheel bearings. Replace all the studs for longer ones. Take it to the farm cut new lumber for it and put it to work :{_}: All I need to do is get off my lazy but and get it done :D

Billy

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Wed May 12, 2010 1:10 am

Cowboy wrote:Thanks Kevin

Fix the cylinder clean it up paint it re pack the wheel bearings. Replace all the studs for longer ones. Take it to the farm cut new lumber for it and put it to work :{_}: All I need to do is get off my lazy but and get it done :D

Billy

Billy,
After seeing all the things you have accomplished via pics on the forum, I refuse to believe there is a lazy bone in your body, much less your backside :shock:

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed May 12, 2010 7:17 am

Howdy Bill E Bob

Well I guess there are two me's. The one that is up north that has no problem working daylight to dark. And me at my home that does his thing on the computer in the morning. Then grabs a book and may sit in the lazyboy and read all day. But when I do make it to the garage I usually get a lot done. But its that getting started part I am bad about.

Billy

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed May 12, 2010 8:38 am

Billy:

I completely identify with the slow start some mornings... btdt -- :lol:

Anytime you wanna come spend some time will be fine by me. I am sure I will earn much more from you :!: Right now I am rebuilding my cabinet shop to make it more user friendly. It used to be my business - but since I got ill in 92 it sat pretty idle for a number of years. I am back in it -- new floors/cabinetry for tools etc.,/dust collection system and hopefully a new 14" bandsaw :D Summer project that I hope to get done.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu May 13, 2010 6:54 am

Sound great Rudi :{_}:

I don't even know what tools I need much less how to use them :oops: Metal is a lot easier just weld it up and grind it down. Wood is for craftsmen :!:

Billy

JoeKansas
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: I.H. 300 Utility

Postby JoeKansas » Wed May 26, 2010 6:55 pm

I bought basically the same thing about a year ago at a farm sale, for $20. Bad tires, hoist was complete, and the only wood remaining was the wooden grain sides.

I had a sawmill make me some 3"x14"x12' runners and 4"x6"x8' crossmembers from red oak. Got that all put together and put on some 2"x12"x12' pine planks I had on for a bed, then fit the sides to complete it.

The hoist cylinder had bad orings and seals and had water/rust damage. I honed it out and made some big orings for the piston, and reinstalled it.

After that, on ebay I bought a radio remote controlled, 12 volt hydraulic power unit to run the hoist with. It works just fine and that makes it usable on any vehicle I pull it with.

I use it to haul a heaping loads of firewood back from the country. Worst problem with it is the tires~ they are narrow and they sink in soft soil a few times when I'm cutting out in some soggy timber ground. Had to unload the trailer onto a truck and pull the trailer out on solid ground and reload it..... Other than that it comes in real handy.

PS~ impossible to back the thing up unless you have a hitch on the front of the vehicle you are steering it with.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu May 27, 2010 8:04 am

Howdy Joe

Thats great :!: thanks for letting me know. I was wondering what to expect from its lift capacity. Mine is setup at 14 foot long and I was thinking of shortening it up to 12'. I am mainly planing on using it to haul firewood and brush. My friend wants to try round bales with it.

Thats a really cool using R/C 12v hyd unit. Dad has a woodmizer sawmill and I can cut my own lumber but I wish I had some oak.

I have never been able to back a running gear up. So all my trails are loops. I have seen my friend back two at a time into his barn full of hay and I have no idea how he does it.

Billy

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Thu May 27, 2010 8:48 am

I have seen those wagons with hoists sell for 100 to 1000 around here. I was at a sale once and saw a real nice one sell for 1200, it had 6' sides on it. It was a sale where I bought one of my cubs. The sale where I bought my Super M I saw one sell for 350. but they left the box and took the running gear and hoist with them. I wouldn't mind finding one around to haul and spread mulch with. I could fit more in it than the dump truck..

They do look handy.

Cowboy,
I teach wood working and would love to have a saw mill of my own to mill my own lumber. I have access to a lot of oak timber in my area but no way to mill it so it is still standing... I just bought 700bf of cherry of a mill for 400. I think I got a steal?? an I did. It is nice stuff.. has to dry till next spring though...

Good luck with it..

JoeKansas
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: I.H. 300 Utility

Postby JoeKansas » Thu May 27, 2010 5:29 pm

I've heard that the only way to do it is to have a hitch on the front of whatever you are steering it with and steer it from the front of that vehicle.

I managed to back mine about 5 feet ~ once~ and I've got a little old dodge d-50 ram pickup that is easy to steer. Didn't make much difference.

On the subject of prices, I was at a farm sale couple of weeks ago that had 4 of them. One with a box and hoist went for 650, a plain set of running gears went for 350, and can't remember the other two, but they were in the 400 dollar range.

Mine with the remote control is fun to amaze people with that happen to walk by it. I have a young 4 year old friend who came over one day to annoy me, and I had the remote in my pocket. She is sharp as a tack. I told her that I was magic, to which she knew I was F.O.S., until I pointed my finger at that wagon parked out on the street and got a real determined scowl on my face like I was really concentrating. Had the other hand in my pocket with the remote. I told her to watch, and she looked back and forth from me to the wagon, and back~ until it started to raise and you shoulda seen her eyes get big as a saucer.

She looked at me and I was her new hero!!!! But, she quickly asked if I could make her lift off the ground and I had to think fast for some excuse why I couldn't........

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”