This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Video editing ?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Video editing ?

Postby cowboy » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:54 pm

:wink: Since this is the waaaaaaaaay OOOOOOOOOffff

Anyone have any experances with the +- $100 doller video editors :?: I have 30 to fifty hours of my friends Blue Grass band playing and I want to make it into a dvd music video. And do up some good hunting movies from another friends elk guiding service. I seem to have come deciding between adobie premier elements and power director 4.

Any thoughts :?:

I also want to scan all the family photos of us as kids everthing I got from moms, see if my grandma will let me borrow hers and copy them. Print them out and hang them up in the computer room rather than hiding them in a box. This way the original is safe and the memorys are out to share with those that want to. With the computer I have now I can also make DVD's and I would like to make a family photo dvd/album with all old/antque photo. So everyone in the family would have axcess to all the memorys mabe do it like a family tree. :idea:
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:04 pm

Good idea to scan those old photos. They won't last forever.

My mother filmed 16mm movies back in the late 1940's of riding mules down the Grand Canyon and other road trips. My father used 8mm for all the family stuff. The film is very fragile. Need to find some way to transfer dozens of reels over to something like DVD before they turn to dust.

Never fooled around with video editing. I'll ask at work, there are guys there who are REALLY into that kind of thing and see what they have to say.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:10 pm

Hi Carl

I seem to rember that a few years ago you could buy an adaptor to run your film through a projector and record it to a camcorder. About ten years ago my uncle was able to find a video store that was able to transfer his movie film to video tape I don't think it was very expensive although you need to find someone who will be carfull because that old tape gets fragile. :!:

Good luck and thanks Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:43 pm

CB
You can play the video tape (I assume it 's done with a camcorder?)back on the camcorder or a player into your computer via a video card that has video inputs (usually a video capturer card feature) It sounds like you have the software that will do the rest. Key here is to have a video input into your computer. You may need a new video card, but look at what you have to make sure it dosen't have the necessary functions already.

Carl is right about the 16 & 8 mm film buy a adapter for the projector and put it on VHS tape or a camcorder and then do the same to transfer to DVD.

I know this is over simplified....I would suggest finding a computer person to get some more detailed info from. Hope I didn't complicate things.
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:27 pm

Hey Billy,

Everyone I talked to uses different software. I guess you'll get used to using whatever you get.

Carl

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:02 pm

Kodiak

My camcorder plugs right int a USB port but the software from sony is goofie and mixes it all together. The program that came with the computer is ok but isn't very easy to work with.

Carl

Thanks for checking.

Looks like I'm not going to have much time to play with it now. County road commision came by today and cut down six dead elm trees and pushed them in the yard for me. And while I was waching them the mail man droped off letter from a company I worked for last year with a new job. So hopfully I'll be back to work soon.

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:36 pm

CB,
Sony software is goofy! They try to set the standard when they are years late getting to the market. Needless to say I am less than impressed with their software. They need to stick to video equipment. Sorry about that.
I'll ask around at work tomorrow and see what the guys recommend. The content guys make a living doing this kinda stuff so they should have an idea for the occassional user. I'll see what I can find. Good luck with the new job!

2007 Cub Tug Champion

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:16 am

CB give this a look it's supposed to be pretty good and has several versions depending on what you want to do. basic version is about $80[url]http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&langue_id=7&Family=0#open

2007 Cub Tug Champion

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:27 am

Another related question ....... Can you burn video to a regular CD-R / CD-RW or do you need a special type CD ?
Ron

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:18 pm

One thing you do need is a decent video capture card. I just bought a 128 ATI TV Wonder Pro. Not the most top of the line card, but it is an ATI which is about the best you can buy.

As for media - CD-R, CD-RW are both useful if you do not have a DVD player.

Just bought a DVD burner for Em's computer so that problem is solved. However, many of the newer DVD player's will play CD S-video depending on what program you use to burn the media.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:07 pm

Thanks Rudi. Now let me get this right..... I can burn a rented movie (CD) and copy it to a CD-R. OR, video capture from my camcorder to PC, burn it on a CD-R - Then put these copies in my DVD and watch them on TV..... Right ?? (My DVD player also plays MP-3 CD's)
Ron

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:53 pm

Ron:

In the case of a lot of the newer DVD's though, there is this thing called copy protection - you can't beat it from what I have seen so far.

I can burn a rented movie (CD) and copy it to a CD-R. ..... Right ??

If you were to run the output signal from say a DVD player through your VCR (without the record engaged), then through your camcorder which would be on record or directly through to your video capture card I think it would succeed.

OR, video capture from my camcorder to PC, burn it on a CD-R - Then put these copies in my DVD and watch them on TV

Yup, this is what the video capture cards were created for. The only thing you have to make sure is that the file format you choose can be read by your current DVD. All new DVD's would be able to read those files as well.

I am not really all that hot on copying DVD's as they are reasonably inexpensive (I can buy previously viewed ones for less than $10.00), but what Em and I want to do is this:

Take ALL of our BETA tapes and convert to DVD
Take ALL of our VHS tapes and convert to DVD and
Take all of our 8mm camcorder tapes and convert them to DVD as well.

I also want to be able to do this with all my vinyl albums as well, but that is another story :!: :roll: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:00 pm

Rudi,

When you get that done, I've got a bunch of old 8mm and 16mm film you can convert as well!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:06 pm

Carl:

Shore nuff bud :!:

Any recommendations on good capture software to use? Adobe Photoshop 6 :?: :?: or maybe something better :?: I am still trying to learn Adobe..... :roll: :roll: :lol:

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:33 am

HI all

8) If I really mess this up I'm sorry but it the big 39 for me today since this is true I felt you annt drink sll day if you don't start in the morning. No I will not be driving or running the chainsaw :wink:

:?: Ok here goes. A dvd holds 4.7 gigabyts a cd holds 650 megabyts or about 8 times the information so eaven though you can get around the copy R a cd will only hold 15-30 minuts of video.

:idea: Do you need a video card :?: mabe depends on your camcorder. and computer. Any digital video camra should output strait to your computer.

1/ your computer needs a USB or Firewire port (inhole)

2/ your camcorder puts out either a USB or Firewire signal

3/ most newer computers have USB ports Firewire is usually an option or you can have it installed. It also is on some sound cards like the soundblaster audigy

4/ I don't know yet but a USB may not be able to to make really clear video I can be a perfectionist on things like that. It works but :?:

5/ Your dvd recorded on the computer may not play in you home dvd player (read ticked off). It may be software as Rudi said (the recording program does'nt like your player). It may be it dosen't like your dvd disks. When I looking for why mine did'nt play it said to use a good quality disk if that did'nt work use a cheep one that might work :idea: brillent. :oops:

I am using a 8mm sony digital camra DCV-TRV460 it was about $400 I got it because it would read my old analog tapes and put out digital to the computer. It also says that I am sopposed to be able to play my vcr into it and have it convert it to digital and run it strait to my computer but I haven't tried it.

I'm a union hevy equ. operator not a computer guy and this is the best I can do. My way of saving money is to look at somthing look agin find out all I can about it then buy the best I can so I don't have to spend money agin becuse what I got wasn't good enough or didn't work :!:

My uncle allways figured out how much he payed per pound for somthing. I feel that is wrong. I figure out how long I had to work to pay for somthing then decide if it is worth It

Rudi Photo shop 6 is an image prossing program. Adobie premier is their video program it's about $600 they also have a adobie primer elements for about a $100 which I plan on trying when I find out if it will input USB or my camra will output Firewire I will let you know what I find out regardless

Return to “Off Topic”