This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Asparagus transplanting

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Asparagus transplanting

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:49 am

Morning wife ask me what my plans were for the day. I said I didn't have any thing on my schedule. OK, I know that was the wrong answer. 15 year old asparagus bed needs to be dug up.

Took spade and cut straight down around a 2 foot by 2 foot section then divided that into quarters. Heavy duty 5 tine pitchfork and lifted each section out. Soaked each section in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Then separated out the crowns.

40 crowns salvaged out of the 2‘ x 2‘ section.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Re: Asparagus transplanting

Postby bob in CT » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:23 pm

Why dig it up?

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:07 pm

Bob in CT wrote:Why dig it up?

Wife's wishes.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:52 pm

Eugene,
Was this just an elective decision to move the bed or was there a reason for this? I have an asparagus bed that is about 15 years old. I noticed I have a number of crowns now just below the surface even though I planted mine in a deep trench with lots of bone meal and dried blood mixed in so I should be all set for some time. I was wondering if they need to be replanted to maintain vigor. I planted Jersey Knight, which I highly recommend. Big fat tender spears. I can't wait for it to come in.
Last edited by bob in CT on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:08 pm

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic- ... spx?page=3

The bed was getting over crowded and production falling off. The 2 foot by 2 foot area is about 1/5th of this particular bed. Several portions of the bed have not produced in a couple of years.

Wife replanted the 2 foot by 2 foot section. We gave away the remainder, 30 or so crowns.

Will tackle the less productive areas of the bed tomorrow. When finished I should easily have enough crowns to repopulate the bed.

I have a total of 4 asparagus beds. The one I'm working on. One about 3 years old, one 2 years old this spring and one started last fall. As you can probably tell, asparagus is the families favorite vegatable.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:35 pm

I guess it is! I started with 25 crowns in 93 or 94. I bought the place in November 92 and I don't think I had time for a garden that first Spring as I replaced all the doors, windows, siding, and roof that first Winter. I cannot keep up with it when it really comes on, but at least I am not traveling and that will make a big difference in my garden this year. The spears are as large as my thumb. What variety do you have?

Joe Malinowski is up in Northampton MA, which was once called the asparagus capitol of the world until the asparagus rust showed up and wiped them out. You can see it growing wild in the highway medians. My guests are always struck by the beautiful dense and tall ferns in my garden in the summer. They are amazed that it is asparagus. That means they don't know how good it is if they have not had fresh early season spears.

Funny story: Our dogs love(d) asparagus and they get the ones I should have cut the day or two before. Wiggles ( Australian Shepard) likes to take her prized asparagus downstairs to eat under my wife's desk. She is a little skittish as she was a rescue dog. She was trotting off to the basement when both ends of the long spear broke off when she went through the partially-open door. She ran down the stairs to get away from the asparagus that tumbled down the stair after her. That was almost as funny as the time Piper started barking at the rhubarb after it first appeared in the Spring.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:21 pm

Most of my asparagus is of the Mary Washington type. I have one section of a purple all male type.

I collect the seed pods in the fall. Dry the pods and shell out the seeds. Most of my newer beds have been started with seed with some transplants.

johnny j
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20711
Tractors Owned: 1948 FARMALL CUB #34846

Postby johnny j » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:59 am

I was told in England there are Asparagus beds that go back 300 years.I planted Mary Washington last year, and was hoping
my grandchildren would pick some.What is best to feed the asparagus I was thinking lime and 10-10-10 ? :)

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:09 am

Here is information on the care and culture of asparagus. Enjoy.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1603.html

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:24 am

Eugene wrote:Morning wife ask me what my plans were for the day.

Donny M wrote:Wife's wishes.

But that was the morning wife's wishes. What did the afternoon and evening wife have to say about it? :lol: Sorry, I couldn't let that slip by.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

dirtyred
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31648
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (tinkerbell) 1949 allis chalmers(ole bess) 1949-50 ?john deere model a

Postby dirtyred » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:20 am

Barnyard wrote:
Eugene wrote:Morning wife ask me what my plans were for the day.

Donny M wrote:Wife's wishes.

But that was the morning wife's wishes. What did the afternoon and evening wife have to say about it? :lol: Sorry, I couldn't let that slip by.

good job lets go cub hunting!!!! 8)

my mother has a lot of asparagus that has run up,it never died this year, can i cut it off and mulch it then harvest some?
He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: Proverbs 12:11

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:01 am

Sure, You can cut it down and harvest spears like normal.

Anyone else have asparagus beetles?

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”