This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

185 starter?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
GaryhMN
10+ Years
10+ Years

185 starter?

Postby GaryhMN » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:24 am

What does a cub fly wheel measure with ring gear. I have a 185 and wondering if it is possible to put a starter on it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:05 am

Does it have a place to mount the starter?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

GaryhMN
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby GaryhMN » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:49 pm

Yes the block has a plate but the tractor motor mount on the frame would need to be cut some. I was at a dealer and the 184 has the clutch on the engine the 185 has it on the trans. the fly wheels are different. The 185 fly wheel has a cut that a ring gear would fit but looks smaller than the 184 that has a starter. The cub starter must be smaller than bigger tractors starter. I have the engine done but would like to get rid of the stsrter generater in the future. The fly wheel (am guessing ) is now about 12 -13 in . I do not know if there are ring gears that small. The nose of the srarter needs to be long because oil pump on the back of the block keeps the fly wheel about 2in from the back of the block.

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:42 pm

In all reality the cub starter should work. The engine blocksare the same. The cub flywheel should work as well as the starter. Modifacation to the rest of the tractor maybe needed, such as you mentioned on the frame. I would try it out while you have the engine still out. You may have to stick to the old cub clutch and presure plate. George is doing the same only with older cub, but has bean ill lattly an no progress update.

GaryhMN
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby GaryhMN » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:13 pm

The one problem is the two belt pulley that runs the pto. I will have to find a cub fly wheel and see if pulleys and a way to connect the drive line. Were any of the power units that used the engine for balers and combines equiped with starters or just crank? I may checkl over at Red Power too.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:16 am

GaryhMN wrote:Were any of the power units that used the engine for balers and combines equiped with starters or just crank? I may checkl over at Red Power too.

My baler power-unit does not have a starter or teeth on the flywheel but Donny has a power-unit that has a starter on it. Or had a starter until one of his Cubs ripped-it-off.
Then came Bronson

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:37 am

Ripped off :?: What do you mean ripped off :?: Unbolted sounds better :lol: :lol: :lol: The reason for the unbolting is an :oops: story 8)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:59 am

My power unit did not have a starter origionally but a PO added one. It came rom a #64 Harvester thresher combine.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:52 am

Donny M wrote:Ripped off :?: What do you mean ripped off :?: Unbolted sounds better :lol: :lol: :lol: The reason for the unbolting is an :oops: story 8)

What I should have said is that one of your Cubs is a thief that is handy with a wrench. :lol:
Then came Bronson

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”