This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Salsa à Emilie

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years

Salsa à Emilie

Postby Wise Owl » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:12 pm

Salsa à Emilie

This salsa recipe has become a favorite at our house. It is a combination of many other recipes and some fine tuning and adjustments have taken place.

8 cups tomatoes (crushed or chopped)
    2 cups onions (chopped)
    2 cups green peppers (chopped)
    2/3 cup oil
    2 cups celery (chopped
    ½ cup cider vinegar
    ½ cup fresh green or red chillies (2 Tablespoon dried red chillies)
    4 teaspoon mustard seeds
    1 Tablespoon salt (I put less)
    3 156 ml cans Tomato Paste
In a large pot mix together tomatoes, onions, green peppers, oil, celery, cider vinegar, chillies, mustard seeds and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer long enough for the celery to cook about 45 min. Then add Tomato Paste and bring to a boil again until it thickens.

In this recipe Roma tomatoes are used. If you use a different type of tomato, you might have to increase the Tomato Paste. I use fresh tomatoes, when in season, and frozen tomatoes in winter. This recipe yields about 12 cups. I double this recipe and bottle 12 Mason jars.

In my garden, I grow my own tomatoes, celery, green peppers, chillies and onions.

For other salsa recipes check out the following links:

How to can your own salsa link:

Have fun and enjoy!! :D :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby Bill » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:36 am

Hi Emilie,
The salsa recipe sounds delicious. Do you freeze any of this, or do you can it? I use a pressure canner for just about everything except sourkraut.
The lemon pound cake sounds delicious also.
Agnes via Bill

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Wise Owl » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:47 pm

This is the time of the year where I empty my freezer. For the salsa I use frozen tomatoes and frozen green and red peppers. Of course, I use my own garden grown red chilli peppers which at harvest time, I thread onto a fishing line and hand them to dry in my kitchen. It also makes beautiful hanging ornaments.

I bottle my sauce in Mason jars. Not that they stay in bottles very long with 5 teenagers. :roll:

This afternoon I made Cathy's recipe for the Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake and with the glaze on top it looks absolutely scrumptious. :) I can't wait to sample it for desert tonight. Will let you know the results.

So Agnes! What recipe are you going to share with us. I am sure you have some family favorite. Anythink that you find yourself cooking often usually means the family loves them. :)

Did you select a Username yet?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:53 pm

Hey Em! How about e-mailing me a couple of slices of that pound cake! :) :) :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”