This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Atlas lathe// good //bad????

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Jeff D. N.E. Wis.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jeff D. N.E. Wis. » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:35 pm

Does anyone know anything about an Atlas lathe. good, bad, or ugly? A guy at work has a 10" F-series for sale for $500.00 with some tooling. He says a small gear for the lead screw is bad. I suppose parts are impossible to find? The manual he has for it is dated 1946. It was made by the Atlas Press Co. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Atlas lathe// good //bad????

Postby George Willer » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:03 pm

Jeff D. N.E. Wis. wrote:Does anyone know anything about an Atlas lathe. good, bad, or ugly? A guy at work has a 10" F-series for sale for $500.00 with some tooling. He says a small gear for the lead screw is bad. I suppose parts are impossible to find? The manual he has for it is dated 1946. It was made by the Atlas Press Co. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff,

The first two lathes I had were Atlases, the first one being a 10" change gear lathe, and the second a 12" quick change. If the lathe has a quick change attachment it would make a good starter lathe at that price. The gears should be stock gears and not hard to find. More important would be the lead screw itself and the split nuts that engage it. That lathe depends on the split nuts for all work so wear is a problem.

What tooling is included?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:31 am

Hi Jeff. I have 4 Atlas/Chraftsman lathes, a 6 in, 10 in with quick change, a 12 inch, and a real small one you can carry under your arm. The Chraftsman was made by Atlas. All the parts are available through Clausing Industries. They don't have an 800 number, but you can call them at 1-219-533-0371. They have manuals too. When you call, you need the numbers off the tag on the end of the bed or sometimes the tag is on the back of the bed towards the center. Their address is

Clausing Service Center
811 Eisenhower Drive South
PO Box 877
Goshen, IN 46526
http://www.clausing-industrial.com/

Also parts are sold on Ebay just like the cub stuff, it's a big business.

Hope this helps, Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:03 am

Hey Mr G.W. I use my 10 inch with the quick change the most, just like you said. I was wondering what you UPgraded to. My only beef is the small hole in the spindle, I need a lathe with about a 2 inch through hole but I would also need a bigger barn, about 80 x 100 would be nice.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:16 am

billyandmillie wrote:Hey Mr G.W. I use my 10 inch with the quick change the most, just like you said. I was wondering what you UPgraded to. My only beef is the small hole in the spindle, I need a lathe with about a 2 inch through hole but I would also need a bigger barn, about 80 x 100 would be nice.

I now have a 10" Logan and a 13" South Bend. The Logan was marketed in the same niche as the 10" Atlas, but For me it's a much better lathe. The South Bend is only used for things the Logan can't do.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jeff D. N.E. Wis.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jeff D. N.E. Wis. » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:48 am

Thanks guys for your help. I think I will go and look at it this week. I don't have a lathe right now, so a small one is better than none.

Jeff

Return to “Off Topic”