This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Nail Gun??

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Nail Gun??

Postby Donny M » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:34 pm

For you carpenters out there,
I'm looking at getting a framing nailer and am wondering what the difference in head angle gets you, full head, clipped head etc...what would be the best choice :?:

TIA 8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:49 pm

Donny:

For framing I prefer a full head. For other applications such as interior casing and such, a clipped or T-head is preferable. Then we can go on into the specialty stuff. For fine mouldings a pin or brad nailer is ideal. These can be capable of 3/16" up to 2-3/16". Also there are the staple guns for padding and such. One really neat setup is the Screw Nailers - these are awesome especially for applying sheathing and building decks etc.

Also, the brand of gun is important. Senco is a good brand and so is Paslode. I would be leary of the cheaper Taiwan but especially the Chinese guns. In fact STAY AWAY from the Chinese. The European brands are pretty top flight as well. Your budget will determine the gun you end up with.

I have a Senco, a Paslode as well as a Campbell Hausfeld brad gun along with 3 or 4 of the European examples. Even the CH is not too bad for fine work.

Bear in mind your compressor. The small 2gal to 5 gal compressors are usally good for one maybe 2 shots and then have to recycle. The larger compressors are much better. Again though, you might want to consider line length as well. Over 200 feet, even a 5hp 100 gallon compressor might have difficulty.

Course this is just my opinion, but it is based on many years of working with pneumatic nailers.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:59 pm

Thanks Rudi,

I'm for sure staying away from the Chinese, Merry sometimes shops at the Arkansas Boutique so I have enough Chinese junk :!: I'm looking at the Senco framing nailer but was wondering about the head angle, i.e. 21 vs 34 degrees. I think the 21 shoots full head nails and the 34 shoots the clipped, but I'm not sure. I have a brad shooter but need a framing nailer. I'm all set with a compressor. 8)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:26 pm

Donny:

I have never paid attention to head angle. To esoteric for me.... I try em and if I like em I buy em :!: :idea: :D

Definitely though I would use the full head for framing.

The clipped do a pretty good job and are darn difficult to remove, but maybe it is just personal opinion, but I like full head nails for framing. Takes me back to my Estwing framing hammer days.

1 to start, 2 to drive and 1 to set! (3-1/2" common that is)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:42 pm

I use a full head Senco framing nailer.

Senco is the IH of nailers. :D :D
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:23 pm

Donny
I was in the building buisness for 25 years and used duo fast angle clip heads never had any problems due to the clip heads quit the buisness and sold all the guns and compressors .
I now have a paslode gas gun no air hose no compressor totally portable a little more costly to operate if you use it a lot but if you only use it ocassionaly it is shure nice to stick the battery in and go any where with it .
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

Joe Shaffer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joe Shaffer » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:56 pm

I used the Porter-Cable trim nailer with the matching Porter-Cable pancake compressor and was/am happy with this rig.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:46 am

Donny:

Pnuematic guns are inherently dangerous. I have accidentally nailed parts of me to various objects over the years. DON"T ASK :oops: :roll: :oops: :D

This takes the cake though, but amply demonstrates why you must work with care and caution when operating tools such as this.

The article is available here : Nail embedded in man's skull for 6 days

A nail gun backfired on Lawler, 23, on January 6 while working in Breckenridge, a ski resort town in the central Colorado mountains. The tool sent a nail into a piece of wood nearby, but Lawler didn't realize a second nail had shot through his mouth, said his sister, Lisa Metcalse.

Following the accident, Lawler had what he thought was a minor toothache and blurry vision. On Wednesday, after painkillers and ice didn't ease the pain, he went to a dental office where his wife, Katerina, works.

"We all are friends, so I thought the (dentists) were joking ... then the doctor came out and said 'There's really a nail,"' Katerina Lawler said. "Patrick just broke down. I mean, he had been eating ice cream to help the swelling."

He was taken to a suburban Denver hospital, where he underwent a four-hour surgery. The nail had plunged 1 1/2 inches (4 centimeters) into his brain, barely missing his right eye, Metcalse said.

"This is the second one we've seen in this hospital where the person was injured by the nail gun and didn't actually realize the nail had been imbedded in their skull," neurosurgeon Sean Markey told KUSA-TV in Denver. "But it's a pretty rare injury."

Lawler was recovering Sunday in the hospital, where he was expected to spend several more days.

Despite his lack of medical insurance and hospital bills between $80,000 and $100,000, Katerina Lawler said her husband is in good spirits.

"The doctors said, 'If you're going to have a nail in the brain, that's the way you want it to be,"' she said. "He's the luckiest guy, ever."

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:27 pm

Well I decided on the Paslode model 900420 cordless nail gun.

Lowes was selling it for $379.99. I did a little searching on the internet and found one for $329.00. I printed it and went to Lowes and not only did they match the price but took off another 10% to boot. Total price $296.99. I think I did good :!: 8)

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:28 pm

Rudi, Hopefully, not all of us in Colorado are quite as stupid as this fellow. He now has a medical bill of about $150,000.00 and no medical insurance. For that much money we could probably buy all of the white cubs still in existence, and send them to you in Canada too!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:16 pm

Lots of luck on your Nailer. I missed this post when it was new but I have used a Bostich Stick Nailer for framing for the last 20 years. I do both thruh and toe nailing with it as well as sheathing. Put in the right size nails. 4 penny to 16 penny. Use a big old clunker compresser. I bought a small compresser for the roofing and trim nailers. I find it works ok for the bostich too but it cycles a lot. When traveling to a small job it is too much trouble for the clunker.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Off Topic”